We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend with parents in April

Bombay
Level Contributor
25 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
weekend with parents in April

hi all,

we are planning a week in denver in mid april with parents. planning to take them for a weekend away to a scenic place, with nice views,food and good hotels. driving distance should be a max of 3 hours. looked at Stemboat, Breckenridge,Keystone and beaver creek. any suggestions with hotel suggestions? thanks

Mentioned in this post
Keystone
Keystone
Colorado
Level Contributor
31 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weekend with parents in April

Depending on where you're coming from Steamboat might be closer to 4 hours. We like the Eagle Ridge condos. There are a variety of small condos (studio up to I think 3 bedrooms?). For all of the resorts if you just do a search here you'll find a wide variety of options, from right at the base of the mountain and really nice to more basic motel kinds of places. Estes Park is another great destination with gorgeous scenery (Rocky Mountain National Park). I would book as soon as possible though to make sure you get something.

Edited: 21 March 2016, 02:18
Mentioned in this post
Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weekend with parents in April

If I were coming in mid April after the mountain closes I would opt to stay downtown either at the Hotel Bristol or the Steamboat Hotel, if you want to stay at the mountain- Steamboat Grand for a hotel or One Steamboat Place which are luxury condos. It is definitely shoulder season there so you may be able to snag a good deal.

Restaurants- Cafe Diva, Bistro CV are my favorite high end places but Steamboat has a lot of great restaurants from breakfast to bar food to fine dining. Creekside is my favorite breakfast place especially for eggs benedict but I like Freshies for pancakes. Low Country has fabulous fried chicken and Steamboat Smokehouse great bbq. Check hours as many places close for a short break during mud season or run limited hours.

Definitely do the short hike up to Fish Creek falls, it is paved.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weekend with parents in April

Steamboat ski area closes on the 10th of April. It doesn't mean the whole town shuts down. But.....a lot of businesses will take a 2-6 week break. Almost half the town. This is known as mud season. Many of these businesses will do major spring cleanup after a busy winter ski season.

Still plenty of hotels and restaurants to use, just a very slow time tourist wise. Not sure of closing dates of the other ski areas you mention, but they all should be right around the same time or within a week or 2 after. You might like the Estes Park suggestion best.

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Colorado
Level Contributor
12,033 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weekend with parents in April

Breck closes April 24, Keystone April 10 and Beaver Creek April 10 (as it stands right now).

Mentioned in this post
Keystone
Keystone
Colorado
5. Re: weekend with parents in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2017, 10:47