We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lift passes

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Lift passes

Hi all

We were considering a 8 day trip to Steamboat in December (11-19) to ski. I've just seen the cost of the lift passes though and am wondering now if it's the place for us :(

Is it likely there all be offers on at that time at all please?

Help!!

Thanks

Colorado
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lift passes

There were great deals this year, hard to tell about next year. Tickets were very low costs and conditions were excellent year this year.

Big mountain skiing is a sport of the 1 % by and large.

you can also try liftopia.com next fall

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,553 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lift passes

Steamboat is priced comparably to any other full service major ski resort in Colorado and provides great value. You may find some discounting pre-holidays next year. Best to check Steamboat web site. You will definitely save by purchasing online in advance. I don't think Steamboat sells on Liftopia, but you can check.

If price is an issue for you, an alternative is to look at the smaller ski areas that do not have a resort town built around them - like Loveland, A-Basin, etc. Skiing is great there though not as diverse as major resorts plus you have to stay elsewhere and drive every day. But you will save.

Another alternative is to buy an Epic Pass next summer and ski the Vail resorts. That will be cheaper. Downside is you'll deal with more crowds, but not so much a factor that time of year. Given that your dates are pre-holiday, you can get an Epic Locals pass to save. You won't hit the blackout dates.

All in all, if you're coming that great a distance and want a wonderful ski holiday, I would not worry so much about the additional costs to ski at a major resort. There's good value there.

Have fun.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lift passes

Yes there can be deals at that time of year. They had a pass available that allowed you to ski from just after Thanksgiving until the 20th dec. It usually is offered in November but... they can throw it out anytime.. You can go online and sign up to be notified whenever they make discount ski offers.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lift passes

That's great thanks! We usually go East coast which is cheaper but understand that's because it's not as good maybe..!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lift passes

Thanks very much! I think we'll go ahead and book as we usually go to Vermont & though much cheaper, have heard its not comparable!

Steamboat Springs...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lift passes

Here is the low down! I work in a reservations department for one of the management companies and know how to work it. So... first contact the management companies directly. Don't book through expedia or travelocity. They will end up costing you more in the long run and you cant get these deals I am referring to below. If you don't book your lodging directly with the management companies like Steamboat Resorts or Mountains Resorts what I am going to say below is not valid. They manage most of the properties around the ski area.

The best lift ticket deals are if you book early. So before Aug 31st you will get 30% off lift tickets and lodging. This is usually 30% off their base rate.... this is not the window rate of $149. So about 30% off about $120. Plus if you have a kid 12 or younger you can get them to ski for free if you buy a 5 day adult lift ticket.

Now in between when you book and when you arrive the ski area sometimes puts out special deals for pre X-Mas, which is the time you want to come! This year they had a 3 day pass for $120. Not too shabby. You can usually cancel your 30% off lift ticket and get these special deals at no penalty.

This is how it's done. Hope this helps.

Just remember to never never never pay walk up window rate.

7. Re: Lift passes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2017, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Steamboat Springs