We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time skiers

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
10 helpful votes
First time skiers
Save

Thoughts on Snowmass village for first time skiers. My husband.myself and my 2 sons 21 &17.

Thanks!

Fox Point, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15,013 posts
74 reviews
140 helpful votes
1. Re: First time skiers
Save

Snowmass is a very large area, wbhich is something we like because we ski 6 days in a row.

For beginners, Buttermilk Mountain is ideal.

Be sure to TAKE LESSONS!!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: First time skiers
Save

Thanks! We live in the south. Im not even sure if snowmass is the right destination. Would we be better off somewhere else. Thanks!

Tex
Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
3. Re: First time skiers
Save

I'm partial to the Aspen area but there are 25/26 ski resorts in Colorado. Not all places are alike so consider your budget and when you're coming. Save by avoiding peak times. Look also at Copper and Steamboat.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
450 reviews
253 helpful votes
4. Re: First time skiers
Save

Snowmass is perfect for first time skiers. The area itself is very large, and a lift ticket on Snowmass is good on any of the 4 area mountains (Aspen, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk, and Snowmass). The terrain on Snowmass is diverse, with beginner through expert terrain plentiful. Lessons are available throughout the resort for a (very expensive) fee as well.

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: First time skiers
Save

Snowmass is perfect for first time skiers. It's 98% ski in/ski out lodging, the lodging is less expensive than Aspen and there are free shuttles throughout the village and to and from Aspen. The airport is only 6 miles away with free shuttles.

Tex
Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
6. Re: First time skiers
Save

Snow season lodging info pricing may be sketchy but here's where to go:

http://www.stayaspensnowmass.com/

To clarify popejoy's post -- 98% is high for ski in/ski out lodging and Snowmass is not necessarily less expensive then staying in Aspen itself. The Vicerory and new the Westin (ere Silvertree) are $$$$$. Google for their websites if interested. Price depends on amenities, service, and location.

Note not all lodgers provide free shuttle to the airport. There is a free bus shuttle that runs bet Snowmass and the airport but the stop is across Hwy 82 from the airport. Not fun with luggage.

All things Aspen can be found at:

http://www.aspensnowmass.com/

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
244 reviews
121 helpful votes
7. Re: First time skiers
Save

"Would we be better off somewhere else."

Not to discount Aspen but there are numerous other ski areas for beginner skiers that are as good or better. On the front range I would suggest you also look at Vail, Breck, and Keystone if you're looking for ski-in/ski-out. My home resort is Crested Butte which has an outstanding ski school and more moderately priced slopeside hotels as do other non I-70 resorts that tend to be much less crowded.

8. Re: First time skiers

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the Tripadvisor community and has been removed.

9. Re: First time skiers

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the Tripadvisor community and has been removed.

10. Re: First time skiers

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?