We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowmass or Breckenridge with toddler

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
Snowmass or Breckenridge with toddler
Save

Looking to take our first trip to CO and we're down to Snowmass (based on a good deal) or Brekenridge. Which would be best for family with a 3 year old? I plan to ski a bit (novice), and would love to spend a half a day teaching my son and wife, but would also like easy access to shops and casual food, plus other outdoor activities like sledding or snowmobiles.

Thoughts?

5 replies to this topic
Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,595 posts
1. Re: Snowmass or Breckenridge with toddler
Save

Breckenridge will be much busier than snowmass on the mountain. Easier to get to breck if you are flying into denver. But if you can fly to aspen its snowmass is super close.Snowmass is more of a self contained ski resort rather than a town like breckenridge. But its easy enough to get over to Aspen for shopping. Pitkin county where snowmass is, is currently covid red which means no indoor dining in town or on the mountain.

A novice trying to teach other beginners is a bad idea, especially when its a spouse. 3 can be a bit young for skiing. Lots of kids dont have the muscle control and coordination and understanding the need to stop at that age. Get lessons for everyone's safety and a much better learning experience.

Edited: 1 year ago
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Snowmass or Breckenridge with toddler
Save

Thanks for the insight. And I should clarify, I would invest in instructions for my family. I don't have the skill or the patience! lol

Washington DC
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
68 reviews
65 helpful votes
3. Re: Snowmass or Breckenridge with toddler
Save

I'd say Snowmass with a toddler. WHy do you want to go shopping on a ski vacat5ion? Is it just because you are bored? Because Snowmass does have some shops, mostly sports and ski-related stuff, of course.

Snowmass is a LOT easier to get to since the airport is only a few miles away. It's hours for Breckenridge, so you incur the cost of those shuttles which will add up.

Frankly, I don't really understand this since there is a pandemic, but I guess a lot of people think they are immune or something, I don't get it. Not the skiing, which I think is pretty safe, but the flight and possible shuttle from Denver. Otherwise, you have another large car rental fee there, also.

Edited: 1 year ago
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
7 reviews
10 helpful votes
4. Re: Snowmass or Breckenridge with toddler
Save

I would not recommend taking a 3 year old skiing. Too young. Personally, I would rather wait until the kid is older and we are not in the middle of a pandemic.

Colorado
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
106 reviews
78 helpful votes
5. Re: Snowmass or Breckenridge with toddler
Save

Snowmass is great for a family

Reply to: Snowmass or Breckenridge with toddler
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Snowmass Village
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.