We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowmass or Aspen for Christmas?

1 post
Snowmass or Aspen for Christmas?
Save

going to CO for x mas with 8 people 4 adults 2 teens and 2 kids and are wanting a winter wonderland hallmark feel Christmas. wondering what would be best for us? we are all beginner/intermediate ski/snow boarders and are looking for a nice time!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
17,969 posts
70 reviews
63 helpful votes
1. Re: Snowmass or Aspen for Christmas?
Save

I don't know about the Hallmark stuff, but Snowmass would be far less expensive. You can take a shuttle into Aspen for looking around.

Colorado Springs...
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
4,341 posts
14 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: Snowmass or Aspen for Christmas?
Save

Aspen will be extremely expensive.

Snowmass has tons of condos for a more enjoyable time for get togethers at the end of the day. Plus you can do breakfast "in". The shuttle system is free and easy enough into Aspen.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
25,660 posts
422 reviews
215 helpful votes
3. Re: Snowmass or Aspen for Christmas?
Save

Welcome to the Colorado forums. Assuming there's snowfall, and that's up to Mother Nature, I feel Aspen is a far better option for the image and feel you are seeking. But, as noted, you will pay dearly for it. Personally, I much prefer staying in Aspen as it's a real town and has a wonderful spirit. You will still have a great time in Snowmass and it will be festive. But it's not a real town, just a fabulous ski resort village. It will also be a better fit for your beginner/intermediates.

Have fun.

Tex
Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,948 posts
4. Re: Snowmass or Aspen for Christmas?
Save

OP didn't indicate they were looking for a less expensive Aspen option. For that Hallmark holiday feel stay in town. You can ski upper runs on Aspen Mountain or take a short bus shuttle to Buttermilk. There are plenty of nice intermediate to difficult runs off of Tiehack Express lift. I've found Snowmass to be overly crowded during holiday week unless you on the blacks.

Colorado
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
106 reviews
78 helpful votes
5. Re: Snowmass or Aspen for Christmas?
Save

Snowmass is very good for families skiing. As others have noted start by looking at lodging in your price range if that matters. Aspen is very special at Christmas, like a John Denver special and priced accordingly. The skiing in town is not for beginners/intermediate but Snowmass has tons of it.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
12,150 posts
200 reviews
354 helpful votes
6. Re: Snowmass or Aspen for Christmas?
Save

Given the age range and skill level of your group I would choose Snowmass. You’ll be spending a lot of time on the slopes. As an intermediate skier I enjoyed Snowmass more than any of the Aspen mountains. The runs are wide and long. If you have energy left at the end of the day you could catch the shuttle to Aspen. But actually I associate “hallmark” more with snowy countryside than town scenes.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
17,969 posts
70 reviews
63 helpful votes
7. Re: Snowmass or Aspen for Christmas?
Save

Please...it's Hallmark. My Dad spend 45 years with them, and just wired me.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
5,109 posts
69 reviews
33 helpful votes
8. Re: Snowmass or Aspen for Christmas?
Save

Lots and lots of ski-in / ski-out at Snowmass, which is very convenient for a rest break, snack, to deal with a child's meltdown, etc.

IMO it's a lot easier to shuttle into Aspen in your street clothes than lugging yourself and ski gear back and forth from off-site lodging.

9. Re: Snowmass or Aspen for Christmas?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Snowmass Village
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.