We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to camp with horses in Pagosa Springs area?

usa
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to camp with horses in Pagosa Springs area?

My husband and I would love to trailer the horses up to the Pagosa Springs area to get in a relaxing weekend of camping and trail riding. Any suggestions on where to stay that offers corrals or stables for two horses, access to trail riding and trailer electric/water hookup? Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,215 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to camp with horses in Pagosa Springs area?

There could be others, but one I found is Sportsman's Campground & Cabins.

coloradodirectory.com/sportsmanssupplycamp/

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
413 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to camp with horses in Pagosa Springs area?

I agree with MisspWestSlope, Sportsman's Campground is a great option - off of Piedra Road / Forest Service Road 631. Lots of trails in close vicinity to Sportsman's with access to Weminuche Wilderness.

Another option for an RV is the forest service campground - Palisades Campground. This is an incredible area with multiple trail options - also off of Piedra Rd, past Williams Creek Reservoir.

"This campground is only for people camping with livestock. A one-way loop offers pull-throughs and back-in units at 12 campsites. Each site has either a hitching rack or four-unit stall with feed manger. In addition to potable water for campers, there is a water tank for livestock. To check availability and reserve specific sites please call a Palisades campground number at 1 (800) 416-6992 or 1 (661) 702-1420."

This campground has a trail from the campsites to Williams Creek Trail (trail 587), with endless options to explore.

Really long URL to get to forest service site with Palisades listing:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTSw8jAwgAykeaxcN4jhYG_h4eYX5hPgYwefy6w0H24dcPNgEHcDTQ9_PIz03VL8iNMMgycVQEAIzTHkw!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfME80MEkxVkFCOTBFMktTNUJIMjAwMDAwMDA!/?ss=110213&ttype=recarea&recid=44036&actid=30&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navid=110170000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&cid=FSE_003717&pname=San+Juan+National+Forest+-+Palisades+Campground

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,215 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to camp with horses in Pagosa Springs area?

Hey, Pagosa, I was hoping you'd weigh in. I thought maybe there'd be a forest service campground with corrals, at least. That one sounds really nice. But I guess wouldn't have electric.

4. Re: Where to camp with horses in Pagosa Springs area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2012, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Pagosa Springs