We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fires/smoke in area?

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
141 reviews
Fires/smoke in area?

Hello- headed to this area on Sunday June 23. is there smoke/fires in this area?

any updates appreciated.. not sure if we should go to another part of colorado instead

6 replies to this topic
Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
136 posts
85 reviews
1. Re: Fires/smoke in area?

Unfortunately, smoke and fires across Colorado are a moving target at this point. The Black Forest and Royal Gorge fires are both around 60 percent contained. Hot and dry weather is again forecast across the state later this week. I wouldn't let the current situation change your plans, however. Even when there are active fires burning, the air quality has a lot to do with the way the winds are blowing. Check the NOAA.com site regularly for air quality reports.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,451 posts
178 reviews
2. Re: Fires/smoke in area?

To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any fires there at this time. I'm not near enough to tell you whether they are getting any smoke or haziness from the Royal Gorge or Colorado Springs fires but those fires are getting close to containment, and according to posts on another thread, the area got some much needed rain. I don't think it will be necessary to change your plans.

tripadvisor.com/…50341440

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
141 reviews
3. Re: Fires/smoke in area?

thank you both fo rthe updates.. I will monitor the NOAA site for air quality - great idea!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,233 posts
58 reviews
4. Re: Fires/smoke in area?

Colorado is a huge state and even if there are fires in areas, other areas are not even touched with smoke. Right now in Colorado there are a number of large forest fires and yet skies are clear over most of the state.

I would be more concerned about coming to Colorado from sea level and dealing with the increase in elevation and the much drier climate. Drink lots of water, wear a hat and sunscreen.

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
141 reviews
5. Re: Fires/smoke in area?

Thanks for the advice. we are from NJ and have been concerned with the Altitude sickness stories ... the plan was to start out in Denver.. head to colorado springs, mt princeton spa, beaver creek, and then westminster before heading home.. we figured the relatively lower altitude the first few days made sense .. but concerned now about the fires in Colorado springs...looks like a little rain today maybe.. hopefully they will get the fires under control soon.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,233 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: Fires/smoke in area?

The fire in Colorado Springs is not near any of the tourist areas and right now at least 65% contained. No need to worry about that fire impacting your vacation.

Reply to: Fires/smoke in area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nathrop
Recent Conversations