We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping sites

Bedford, Indiana
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Camping sites

Looking for tent campsites near the Pikes Peak area. Day one we are planning Garden of the Gods, so it would be nice to find something close by. Day 2 we are planning the Rail and Ride on Pikes Peak. From there we plan on making our way to Boulder to see the Red Rocks and then onto RMNP. If anyone has any recommendations on campsites, it would be greatly appreciated :) We're very excited for our first trip to Colorado! ^^^

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,281 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping sites

Colorado Springs is a huge city, I can't think of many campgrounds in the area. Maybe up in Woodland Park or Mueller State Park. Possibly a KOA, but the ones's I've seen in Co Springs don't look that great.

Red Rocks is not in Boulder, but south in Morrison, plan on 1/2 hour drive from Red Rocks to Boulder. Again no tent camping in Boulder, up in the mountains at Brainard Lake, Golden Gate State Park and a few other spots.

Get reservations in RMNP for camping. Moraine Park is the best in my opinion.

Kansas
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping sites

We just spent four nights tent camping at Lone Duck Family Campground in Cascade, CO. It is on US-24 just a few minutes from Colorado Springs. Access to Garden of the Gods, Cave of the Winds, Pikes Peak Cog Railway, etc. was super easy - we could be at all of them in minutes. Our family really enjoyed our stay there.

After that we went on to Estes Park/RMNP and stayed at Mary's Lake Campground. We did not enjoy that campground as well. I've heard great things about Moraine Park Campground and we'll probably stay there next time.

We found the ground at both campgrounds to be a lot harder than what we're used to so make sure to bring heavy duty tent stakes and a good mallet. We bent a few of the stakes that we had with us that weren't heavy duty, but the stronger ones did just fine.

Edited: 30 July 2016, 12:37
Bedford, Indiana
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping sites

Thank you, Casa & Colport! 👍🏼 very helpful!

Edited: 30 July 2016, 18:47
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,739 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping sites

I saw your comment on another post about not knowing how you would get to the Enterprise on Quebec Street for your car rental. You can take the free Doubletree Stapleton North hotel shuttle even if not staying at the hotel. Enterprise is next door.

Bedford, Indiana
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping sites

Thanks, FV1989! Good to know! 👍🏼 very helpful 😊

6. Re: Camping sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2017, 23:48
Get answers to your questions about Manitou Springs
More Manitou Springs Topics