We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Pikes Peak in Aug- what to expect & helpful hints

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
192 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking Pikes Peak in Aug- what to expect & helpful hints

We plan to hike up Pikes Peak in mid Aug and take the Cog Railway back down. Any suggestions or tips from past experience?

What should I expect for weather at the base of the mountain and at the top when we finish? Trying to determine what to wear and what clothes for our back pack.

Any suggestions/tips apppreciated!

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Pikes Peak in Aug- what to expect & helpful hints

In August you can encounter snow, wind, hail or just about anything else. Make sure you are experienced enough to know what to do if you encounter adverse weather.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,443 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Pikes Peak in Aug- what to expect & helpful hints

Give yourselves several days to acclimate prior to hiking to the top. Do some intermediate-elevation hikes first.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
228 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking Pikes Peak in Aug- what to expect & helpful hints

Make sure you have a confirmed one way ticket as well on the cog. I am not sure they can ticket you at the top and likely the trains will be full anyway.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking Pikes Peak in Aug- what to expect & helpful hints

When I lived in Manitou, I hiked that a bit, round trip tho. I always started early in the morning in case of afternoon lightning storms, carrying a pack with rain gear, light thermal undershirt, light hat, light gloves, extra food & lots of water.

Enjoy!

5. Re: Hiking Pikes Peak in Aug- what to expect & helpful hints

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 06:45
Get answers to your questions about Manitou Springs
More Manitou Springs Topics