We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-September Weekend -- where to stay, what to do?

Kansas
Level Contributor
228 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Mid-September Weekend -- where to stay, what to do?

Planning a quickie visit to Manitou in mid-September (actually have to be in Colo Springs, but Manitou seems more fun), and looking for local/experienced advice. We've blown our travel budget this summer, and will be leaning heavily toward the cheap. You get it: No Broadmoor for us (thus, no Cliff House, I'd presume); we need less on the fine dining side, and more on the fun and local chow (good beer and/or wine is still okay).

Lodging: Cheap and clean is the theme, and we'd like to go local and stay away from chains or places that look like the chains. Character is good. Minimal bugs would benefit my marriage.

Location: Would like to be by a creek ... maybe even with access by patio, deck, window, back door.

Location (part 2): We like to "tromp" ... not serious hikers, but like to wander around on foot, in or out of town, to sights and scenery or to food and booze, whatever is available. Access to good tromping would be a plus for a motel.

Activities / Attractions: Thinking of a tromp through The Garden (or a cave, if it's really bad weather), maybe a drive or cog train up the Peak (which is better?). Would be open to quirky, fun, less-touristy ideas.

Help! (please)

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
The Broadmoor
The Broadmoor
1,418 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
The Cliff House at Pikes Peak
The Cliff House at Pikes...
901 Reviews
Manitou Springs, CO
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,929 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid-September Weekend -- where to stay, what to do?

if the weather holds , a twilight walk in garden of the gods is great fun for bat lovers.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid-September Weekend -- where to stay, what to do?

Travel by the cog is definitely a treat. Many like both or some have a preference based on their own preferences.

FREE---Helen Hunt Falls and you can do some hiking up top.The road through the canyon is nice as well. Starsmore Discovery Center has trails it appears out back (we didn't get that far).

Cave of the Winds the road up is nice scenerywise.

Garden of the Gods alone can fit the hiking bill, lots to peruse there.

Pioneers Museum in CO Springs is FREE and interesting, Olympic Training Center is FREE, Air Force Academy is FREE and you can do some walking around it's pretty there. I noticed you mentioned cheap above so I'm going with that. I'll let someone else in the know recommend good, nice cheap lodgings in Manitou.

I'll skip restaurants for Manitou as I haven't been but Fargo's Pizza is great and a fun atmosphere to check out in Colorado Springs. The locals will have some greater suggestions for you than I have as I haven't dined extensively in Colorado Springs or the surrounding areas.

http://timberlodge.pikes-peak.com/ here might fit your creek designation for lodging tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33364-d1528968… There's some rooms under $100, and this borders Manitou Springs so pretty much in your desired locale.

Mentioned in this post
Helen Hunt Falls
Helen Hunt Falls
699 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Garden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods
13,667 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
United States Air Force Academy
United States Air Force...
2,464 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Manitou Springs
Manitou Springs
El Paso County, CO
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,900 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid-September Weekend -- where to stay, what to do?

What is your budget? We got great rate at the new Mining Exchange Hotel in downtown Co Springs, close to all the restaurants! Manitou of course has many tourist sites.

Check out the Spur and Lace B&B in Old Co City, great place, great rates. Close to all the restaurants and shops and not to far to Manitou.

Edited: 28 July 2012, 11:33
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,929 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid-September Weekend -- where to stay, what to do?

drive up the pass to woodlandpark and cripple creek for gorgeous mountain scenery and a fun old goldrush town turned gambling town. fun little museum is the parlour house - the old goldrush brothel. just outside divide is the wolf and wildlife center which is a great visit as well.

awesome mexican food in woodland park at carlos miguel's just off 24 (recognized by a bright yellow little victorian house. the sign says 'authentic mexican food' - do not mistake with 'casa grande' just next door. the small place is so much better!)

as far as pikes peak .. i prefer the drive by a very long shot. try to do pikes peak very first thing in the morning for clearest weather and best chance to view animals

Kansas
Level Contributor
228 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid-September Weekend -- where to stay, what to do?

Thanks for all the tips!

I haven't had a chance to study up much still, but may be back with a few follow-up questions.

Thanks, again.

Kansas
Level Contributor
228 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mid-September Weekend -- where to stay, what to do?

Our budget is, really, "whatever we have to spend" ... just try to keep it down, as we got carried away on a few earlier ventures this year. Trying to restore balance to the universe, and our bank book.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Mid-September Weekend -- where to stay, what to do?

The Penny Arcade in the heart of town is also really fun! Vintage and newer games. Tasting the mineral springs is always a must-try. The Manitou Chamber has free maps and tasting cups. Townhouse Lounge fun to grab a pint and Stagecoach Inn has an awesome little creek to dine by.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
171 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mid-September Weekend -- where to stay, what to do?

You might look at B&B's or cabins in Manitou. I'm a local so don't have much experience with them, but there are a lot of them. You won't find many chains in Manitou (either hotels or restaurants).

I recommend driving up the Pikes Peak Highway and a stop into Wines of Colorado for lunch by the creek. PJ's Bistro in Manitou is also unique and good, with Hungarian/Polish entrees and desserts. Adam's Mountain Cafe is a must for breakfast.

Lots of places to 'tromp' around if you're in Manitou. If you're up for a breath-taking hike (in every conceivable way), try the Manitou Incline and come down Barr Trail. Or take Barr Trail up to Barr Camp if you have a half day available. Red Rocks Canyon Park (Section 16 and Intemann Trails) and Garden of the Gods are also very close by.

Drop into Kinfolks Mountain Shop right in the heart of Manitou. It's a mountain outfitters shop with a pub. They feature some great craft beers, plus often have live music. It's a local's hang-out and a great place for advice on hiking, dining, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Pikes Peak
Pikes Peak
5,517 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Colorado
Colorado
United States
PJ's Bistro
PJ's Bistro
311 Reviews
Manitou Springs, CO
Adam's Mountain Cafe
Adam's Mountain Cafe
684 Reviews
Manitou Springs, CO
Garden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods
13,667 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Chicago
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mid-September Weekend -- where to stay, what to do?

We will be making a visit to Colorado Springs at the end of September. Planned to see Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak and the AF Academy. Wanted to stay in Manitou Springs too. Saw Two Sisters, but it looks like it's a two-night min. We are only there one night. Any other Manitou accommodation suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Garden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods
13,667 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Pikes Peak
Pikes Peak
5,517 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Manitou Springs
Manitou Springs
El Paso County, CO
10. Re: Mid-September Weekend -- where to stay, what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2013, 15:45
Get answers to your questions about Manitou Springs