We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colorado things to see and do on the way to Cheyenne, WY

Azle, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Colorado things to see and do on the way to Cheyenne, WY

My husband and I are driving to Cheyenne, WY late July from Texas. We are planning to stay at least two to three nights along the trip. Loved seeing a melodrama in Manitou Springs on a trip many years ago and wished we had more time. Are there any suggestions for places to stop and see in Colorado on the way?

Mentioned in this post
Cheyenne
Cheyenne
Wyoming
Texas
Texas
United States
Manitou Springs
Manitou Springs
El Paso County, CO
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,862 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colorado things to see and do on the way to Cheyenne, WY

Have you been to Rocky Mountain National Park? You could enter from the Grand Lake side of the park. The Rocky Mountain Repertory Theatre www.rockymountainrep.com in Grand Lake gets rave reviews. Spend the night and travel Trail Ridge Road from Grand Lake to Estes Park. Highway 34 down very dramatic Big Thompson Canyon carries you back to I-25 and north to Cheyenne. For lodging in Grand Lake, see www.grandlakechamber.com

For more information on Trail Ridge Road, see www.nps.gov/romo

While you can drive Trail Ridge Road in about 2 hours, allow at least another 2 hours to stop at some of the overlooks and short walks along the way. You will be rewarded with tremendous views and great chances at seeing wildlife, especially elk and moose.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Lake
Grand Lake
Grand County, CO
Rocky Mountain Repertory Theatre
Rocky Mountain Repertory...
136 Reviews
Grand Lake, CO
Trail Ridge Road
Trail Ridge Road
2,938 Reviews
Rocky Mountain National Park, CO
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Cheyenne
Cheyenne
Wyoming
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,802 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colorado things to see and do on the way to Cheyenne, WY

I second the RMNP- beautiful drive up thru Big Thompson Canyon. Also might like a drive up thru Poudre Canyon north of Fort Collins.

Mentioned in this post
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,117 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colorado things to see and do on the way to Cheyenne, WY

If you have time to detour a ways off the Interstate 25 corridor, there are lots of things you could do. For example, you could exit at Trinidad and take the scenic Hwy 12 loop. Return to the Interstate when you get to 160 or head west to the Great Sand Dunes. You could then continue through central Colorado to Buena Vista, then either to Leadville or Breckenridge. Join Interstate 70 for a few miles, then either head for Winter Park and Grand Lake to join the Trail Ridge Road itinerary suggested by fv, or drive the Peak to Peak byway to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park.

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Colorado
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Leadville
Leadville
Colorado
Grand Lake
Grand Lake
Grand County, CO
Trail Ridge Road
Trail Ridge Road
2,938 Reviews
Rocky Mountain National Park, CO
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,862 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colorado things to see and do on the way to Cheyenne, WY

Oh Peachbelle, the Cache La Poudre Scenic Byway, especially the lower section closer to Fort Collins, was in the path of the High Park fire. I am planning to go survey the situation soon and report back. Much of the byway was closed for 3 weeks during the fire. A recent article in the Fort Collins Coloradoan reported the river turns black with ash following rain. I have to get up my nerve to go. The rafting companies are back in business and they say the canyon is not as bad as they expected. Some people go just to see the effects of the fire. I am not one of those people.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
153 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colorado things to see and do on the way to Cheyenne, WY

How about just stopping in Colorado Springs and spending a day or two. We have it all here :))

Mentioned in this post
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Azle, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colorado things to see and do on the way to Cheyenne, WY

Sounds great, we were really interested in the live theater - we really enjoyed the melodrama we saw in Manitou Springs, but it isn't getting very good reviews these days. Is there anything like that in Colorado Springs?

Mentioned in this post
Manitou Springs
Manitou Springs
El Paso County, CO
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Canon City, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colorado things to see and do on the way to Cheyenne, WY

Try the Butte Theater in Cripple Creek. It has a melodrama & Olio as well as My Fair Lady playing this summer. Check their website for schedules. One day the melodrama is the matinee and the next it is the evening performance. The Waldo Canyon Fire burn area isn't really visible from around the Springs, but it has taken a toll on the tourism industry. You will be more than welcomed this year anywhere in and around Colorado Springs.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
8. Re: Colorado things to see and do on the way to Cheyenne, WY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2013, 14:45
Get answers to your questions about Manitou Springs
More Manitou Springs Topics