We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manitou or Colorado Springs for 3 days in mid-June?

Oakton, Virginia
2 posts
1 review
Manitou or Colorado Springs for 3 days in mid-June?

Plan to stay 3 days in this area to do Pike's Peak, and other attractions. We enjoy interesting and walkable downtowns and both Manitou and Colorado Springs sound like good places both with good locational access to area attractions. Any advise on location and must-dos other than PP and Canyon of the Gods. We like hiking, sightseeing, food experiences, nature, etc.

7 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
21,128 posts
451 reviews
1. Re: Manitou or Colorado Springs for 3 days in mid-June?

Welcome to the forum. Both downtowns are great. Manitou is certainly far more touristy. Very walkable. Downtown Colorado Springs has really wonderful restaurants and bars. Not a lot of hotel space but the Mining Exchange is a fabulous old, renovated hotel. Both areas afford you excellent access. They're only about 15 minutes apart. Personally, I prefer staying downtown but I'm usually there on business not sightseeing.

Have fun.

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Manitou or Colorado Springs for 3 days in mid-June?

Welcome to the forums 2gardeners,

First off to give you a idea, the distance between Manitou and downtown CS is less than 7 miles.

The two attractions you mentioned are in MS. However, the best restaurants are in nearby Old Colorado City (along Colorado Ave) and downtown (along Tejon St).

If it were me, I would stay downtown to be able to walk to restaurants. Antler's Hotel or The Mining Exchange are two options. A third hotel being built for 2018 (Hilton I believe) may or may not be an option in June. I'm guessing "not". Also, a few blocks away , St. Mary's Inn B & B gets good reviews.

For hikes, Garden of the Gods and Red Rock Canyon open space are there together off of I-24. The visitor's center and trading post are worth a stop.

Many trails in the beautiful North Cheyenne Canon. Helen Hunt Falls and Seven Falls are awesome. You could take in the grounds of the 5 star Broadmoor Hotel and have a meal at one of their 8 restaurants. Lake Terrace Sunday Brunch and the Penrose Room need to reserved now, if that interests you. Also 7 Falls has a really good restaurant 1858 that is known for it's trout. Reservations are required here as well. It is casual (lodge feel) . The walk from the entry is 1.8 mi. A shuttle in front of the Broadmoor will take you there.

The Penrose Heritage Museum (free) would be worth checking out.

Other popular attractions in the area include;

Cheyenne Mt. Zoo (popular with adults) for the views ticket includes Will Roger's Shrine

Air Force Academy

Natl. Museum of World War ll

Cave of the Winds

Palmer Park

Olympic Training Center

Royal Gorge & activities ( about 50 minutes away)

Glen Eyrie Castle

After you think about what you'd like to incorporate, come back and we'll help you with your itinerary, to help you make the best use of your time.

Oakton, Virginia
2 posts
1 review
3. Re: Manitou or Colorado Springs for 3 days in mid-June?

Both replies are very helpful. Thanks. Is Old Colorado City a section of CS or a separate town? I'm looking at several home rentals and trying to get feel for the area. We definitely prefer the downtown vibe.

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Manitou or Colorado Springs for 3 days in mid-June?

Old Colorado City is basically 19th street to 31st north of I-24 (Cimarron). It lies between the two. Not really a town per se, just an area known for cute shops and restaurants.

There are probably some good house rentals there, but the hotels are mmm...not great.

Another area to check house rentals is in the canyon (North Cheyenne Canon)

Edited: 16 January 2018, 00:51
Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
62 reviews
5. Re: Manitou or Colorado Springs for 3 days in mid-June?

If you want a simplistic, white trash vacation experience, you can't go wrong picking Manitou Springs. Schlock and bad food. Great history, though, but that has nothing to do with 2018.

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Manitou or Colorado Springs for 3 days in mid-June?

?

Edited: 13 March 2018, 08:33
Naalehu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
70 reviews
7. Re: Manitou or Colorado Springs for 3 days in mid-June?

Way to go, Heidi. Three posts in seven years, and two of them were not helpful.

2gardners, I would listen to springschick. She actually lives there and knows what she's talking about.

Reply to: Manitou or Colorado Springs for 3 days in mid-June?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Manitou Springs
More Manitou Springs Topics