We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking Nightmare

Westcliffe, Colorado
1 post
Save Topic
Parking Nightmare

This is a heads-up to anyone who wants to climb Pikes Peak and overnight on the Barr Trail. Parking in the town of Manitou Springs is essentially a nightmare. The ONLY available overnight parking for hikers is at the trailhead, which costs $20 for less than 24 hours of parking. It is VERY unclear when you make your parking reservation for how long you've actually paid. The police did not waste any time hounding us with extreme parking violations, in addition to a fine for expired vehicle registration, which was incorrectly issued. What a wonderful way to welcome guests who are trying to enjoy your town! If you want to overnight on the Barr Trail, be aware that this town will leach every last penny out of you that they can. Needless to say, we will never be visiting Manitou Springs again.

Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking Nightmare

Did you try taking the free shuttle from a block or two east of downtown Manitou Springs?

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,858 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking Nightmare

https:/…dont-hassle-parking-manitou

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,610 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking Nightmare

Hi GennaCM, I hate bad signage! You could try and fight it with photos and documentation. You might want to talk with the good folks at the visitors center if your intent is to comment directly to someone in Manitou https://manitousprings.org/ or the Mayor Nicole Nicoletta contact information here

http://www.manitouspringsgov.com/contact

How was the rest of the trip? Hoping that you had some good times?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
8,922 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking Nightmare

<< in addition to a fine for expired vehicle registration, which was incorrectly issued.>>

In Colorado, your registration is on your license plate. If you failed to put the sticker on your plate as proof on current registration, then the fine was issued correctly for failure to display.

Regardless, sounds like you had a rough weekend. Not sure if that warrants creating a TA account for the sole purpose of ranting about poor parking choices, but hopefully you'll come back and share how the rest of your trip went. Eat anywhere good? How was the hike? What about the view from the top? In the meantime, I'm glad others have pointed out the ample parking and transportation available for visitors.

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
6,747 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking Nightmare

Older thread on the same issue: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33537…

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,566 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking Nightmare

Yes, parking is a problem in Manitou! Be aware. If you park so much as a couple of inches over the line, they will ticket you. Bummer! Revenue.

1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking Nightmare

Yes, I agree. Manitou Springs is more interested in collecting parking tickets than attracting and collecting returning guests. I'm committed to never spending another dime in the city and choosing more friendly Colorado destinations (which there are many!)

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,566 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking Nightmare

Good News! They will be building a parking garage in MS! About time!

Sand Springs...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking Nightmare

So am I understanding you, if you do not have a registration sticker from Colorado on your license tag you will be fined. I guess they are not wanting anybody from any other state to come there. Maybe I should be rethinking coming here in about 3 weeks. I am certainly not going to register my car in Colorado when I don't live there.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking Nightmare

I don't believe you do understand. The registration sticker is nothing more than an annual sticker that you place in the bottom right hand corner of your license plate, no matter what State you are from. If you're from Kansas do you really thing you need to have your vehicle registered in Colorado? Good grief Charlie Brown!

Get answers to your questions about Manitou Springs
More Manitou Springs Topics