We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which horse back riding company?

Level Contributor
3 posts
43 reviews
Which horse back riding company?

So will be headed to Colorado for a vacation around the end of June. One thing my wife wants to do is go horseback riding. Through all my research I have found in Kremmling a company called Rusty Spurr Ranch and one in Estes Park called National Park gateway stables (SK Horses). I want to know opinions one which one would offer a better ride whether it is views or wildlife.

6 replies to this topic
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
12,960 posts
136 reviews
1. Re: Which horse back riding company?

There are several stables offering horseback riding into RMNP from Estes Park. Add Jackson Stables and Sombrero's Moraine Park and Glacier Creek locations to your list. Are you experienced riders? How long of a ride are you planning? When is your trip? What other locations in Colorado are you visiting?

Over 4 million people visited RMNP last year. Trail rides of 2 hours and under are generally nose to tail rides and are very busy especially if you are visiting during the peak summer season. Although the number of riders per trail ride is somewhat limited, it is not a unique or overly personal experience and there will be plenty of first time riders.

Have you looked at reviews here on TA?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Edited: 06 June 2016, 09:18
Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,864 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Which horse back riding company?

I have gone to the Rusty Spur as well as referred many friends and family. It is a great place with lots of riding options! http://www.rustyspurr.com

Level Contributor
3 posts
43 reviews
3. Re: Which horse back riding company?

I will only be going for a day ride. Whether it is a few hours or all day is fine with me. My wife is experienced, but not myself. I am athletic, but not a rider. My trip will be near the end of June and we are staying at elk creek campground, which I know is an hour away from Rusty Spurr. It is hard b/c a lot of places have fantastic reviews on TP. I know Rusty Spurr has a max of 3hr trail ride and it is not nose to tail. They also offer a small cattle drive like thing according to their website.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
98 reviews
4. Re: Which horse back riding company?

We are not experienced horse back riders. We did the trail ride with Jackson Stables in RMNP -- very nice and in the National Park, but a trail ride where you all follow the leader. With the great scenery etc. this is always a hit with my extended family. What I understand about Rusty Spur is that you don't have to stay on the trails, as you are at their ranch. People love their cattle drive too. Anyway, this summer as we are spending a week in Keystone in a house, we are planning to try Rusty Spur for the first time. // So if you want more than a trail ride, you may want to do that. If you are satisfied with a trail ride in a beautiful national park -- a lovely scenic place for that, you can get that without driving an hour.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
12,960 posts
136 reviews
5. Re: Which horse back riding company?

kathy884, you are confused about in which campground Aship005 is planning to stay. To get from Elk Creek Campground in Grand Lake over Trail Ridge Road to National Park Gateway or any of the other stables in Estes Park or the east side of RMNP will take about 2 hours one way with late June traffic. You may have been thinking they were going to camp in Elk Meadow RV Resort which is in Estes Park.

Aship005, because I am familiar with the area from a hiking perspective, I would not choose the 2 hour or 4 hour ride with National Park Gateway. The 6 or 8 hour rides would be great if you can sit in a saddle that long.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
98 reviews
6. Re: Which horse back riding company?

Thanks fv1989 for clarifying that. I was thinking of Elk Meadow on the Estes Park side where we have stayed before.

Reply to: Which horse back riding company?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kremmling