We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keystone Lodging Questions

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
37 reviews
Keystone Lodging Questions

Hello,

I think we've pretty much settled on Keystone as our home base. We'll be there April 4-10 and will be buying 5 day epic day passes with the idea of skiing 2-3 days at Keystone as well as at least a day each at A-Basin and Breck. This will be our family's (two kids, age 5 and 11) first ski trip to CO, so I'm kind of flying blind.

We're looking for a two bedroom condo, preferably with one king bed and one bedroom with two beds and convenient access to skiing. I'm thinking if walking access it will have to be very close, if it's a bit of a hike to the lift, we're probably better off using a shuttle with all the gear, kids, etc. A nice pool and hot tub area is important too (I'd love a private hot tub). We'd probably like to stay in Mountain House or River Run areas, though would consider other areas if they're either a great deal, or offer amenities (like private hot tub) that we like. Also, we'll have a rental car, so parking is a must.

I have a few questions about some of the properties towards the top of our list.

River Run Springs...this appears to be a very family friendly option...the pool and hot tub areas look very nice too. I also like that it's one of the closer units to the River Run gondola. My concern is how crowded these will be...obviously, the pool area is a draw for families, is it jam-packed when you want to be using it? I love to take a nice soak after a day on the slopes, will the hot tubs be full of kids from 3:00-10:00? What are the hours of the pool area? Tough to tell how densely populated these condo complexes are...

River Run Red Hawk Townhomes...this is actually a bigger unit that we need, but I like the looks, location and amenities. The only thing I don't like is that you have to go over to Red Hawk Lodge for the pool and hot tub. Anyone know how this works? Is it a hassle to get in and use the facilities? Is there a changing area, etc for folks coming from the townhouses? Same questions about the pool and hot tubs...do they tend to be crowded? I'm figuring this is a couple hundred yard walk to the gondola, correct?

Any condos away from Mountain House or River Run that you might suggest? Especially interested in units that have a private hot tub. Any other condos that have great, uncrowded pool/hot tub areas? Trying to keep lodging to under $200/night.

Thanks!

Loveland Pass
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Arapahoe Basin
Ski & Snowboard Areas
Keystone Ski Area
Ski & Snowboard Areas
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,727 posts
64 reviews
1. Re: Keystone Lodging Questions

Hi deadheadcouple. The end of the season is usally not that crowded but you never know who will be in the hot-tub. The Springs is popular with families due to the pool.

I like the setting of Red Hawk better. I am not sure how the whole hottub thing works.

I'd suggest looking at units on VRBO to see the exact unit you'd be getting. Perhaps inquire of them how the hot-tub pool entrance works.

At Mountain House some of the Ironwood Townhomes have private hot-tubs, no pool. Again I'd look at VRBO.

Have fun I love that time of year !

Edited: 12 February 2016, 00:04
2. Re: Keystone Lodging Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2017, 10:47