We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski trip 4/3-4/7

Arlington, TX
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ski trip 4/3-4/7

If this is a double post, I apologize. I'm on the app and not sure if my first post went thru.

Anyhow, my husband and I are taking my 5 year old to Keystone for the last week of the ski season. We know we want to stay in River Run because there are more kid stuff for her to do and we won't have a car. I am looking at condos and I have it narrowed down to The springs, Dakota, buffalo lodge and expedition station. Which one of those would be more quieter for sleeping? We are leaning towards the Springs cause it looks like they have a lot to offer for families with little kids. However, there are nice condos at the other complexes I mentioned that we wouldn't mind staying at either.

Reading the forum I see Mountain House is the best for kids. How easy would it be for us to get her there from the river run? Also, my husband and I will probably need classes too, so are the adult and child classes done in the same area? We will most likely stay on the bunny slopes with her thru out the trip,but just in case either of us want to try a green, would mountain house greens be better than river run?

Do I need to book everything we want to do in advance of the trip such as lessons, sleigh ride dinner, tubing, ice skating, snow fort and that fancy mountain restaurant? Will all these things still be open first week in April? How are the snow conditions?

Sorry, I know it's a lot of questions. Our main objective isn't to ski or board. We just want to show our little girl some fun in a mountain town. She's been fervently praying for snow here in Texas but looks like it's not going happen this year.

Mentioned in this post
Keystone
Keystone
Colorado
The Springs
The Springs
70 Reviews
Keystone, CO
Texas
Texas
United States
Loveland Pass
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Arapahoe Basin
Ski & Snowboard Areas
Keystone Ski Area
Ski & Snowboard Areas
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,470 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski trip 4/3-4/7

Hi Klobb, I am confused are you going to ski/board at all? If so Keystone is great for families. I prefer Mountain House base for kids lessons but if you are wanting RR then I'd not go back and forth. To me the condos at RR are pretty similar. I'd ask about square footage, noise and views.

""Do I need to book everything we want to do in advance of the trip such as lessons, sleigh ride dinner, tubing, ice skating, snow fort and that fancy mountain restaurant? Will all these things still be open first week in April?""

My guess is that tubing and snow fort is a yes. The others you should ask the resort. It is rare that the skating would still be open.

How are the snow conditions? For skiing and boarding, typically great. Rare that it is not.

If you are not skiing or boarding I am not sure I'd go to Keystone in winter just to "play" in the snow.

Mentioned in this post
Keystone
Keystone
Colorado
Arlington, TX
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski trip 4/3-4/7

Sorry I wasn't clear...yes, we will most definitely be ski/boarding. We just won't be going up and down the mountain a lot as we are traveling with a 5 year old and it will be her first time ski/boarding. I'm not sure how comfortable a green run would be with her in tow so I suspect a lot of runs on the bunny slope. I believe all of us will need lessons, it's been awhile since we've been on a snowboard.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,470 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski trip 4/3-4/7

Good then,have fun!!

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski trip 4/3-4/7

We stayed in river run over Christmas and it's a great place to stay. We were right over the hot tubs in our building but on the top floor so it wasn't too disruptive. I would think any of the condos directly over bars and restaurants might be loud in the evenings.

It is super easy to get to the mountain house base by the free buses which have a stop right at river run. It's a great area for beginners with a dedicated kids club with lessons.

You can book the mountain restaurants on open table. We tried to have the fondue restaurant on Christmas Day and it was cancelled due to extreme low temperatures and wind on the mountain.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski trip 4/3-4/7

I can't tell you a thing about Keystone in particular (I'm here researching for our first trip, including the same dates you're going) but I can tell you, as a former ski instructor and current coach dad, your five year old will surprise you on the slopes. Kids that age pick up skiing very quickly...my guess is she won't want to spend much time on the bunny hill. Lessons for her will be invaluable, but you might find yourself having a hard time keeping up past day two or three!

Arlington, TX
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ski trip 4/3-4/7

Thanks for the opinions! We went ahead and booked an updated unit in The Springs. I booked my daughter a full day of boarding lessons at Mountain House and I may consider going for 2 days of lessons for her, but dang, is it expensive!! Anyhow, lift tickets seem to be higher than I remember, but can't really get around that when you want to ski or snowboard. I really hope she can at least do a few green runs with us before we leave the mountain. Does anyone know the closest rental place to the Springs? We get in early on Sunday so I was thinking we could just go get our gear at that time. Is christys or mountain house within walking distance to the springs? Or would we have to take a shuttle to get our gear? I know keystone rentals are an option, but I read that their stuff is pretty beat up.

Mentioned in this post
The Springs
The Springs
70 Reviews
Keystone, CO
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
47 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ski trip 4/3-4/7

I think you could walk it, but a shuttle would probably be the best/easier option.

As for the closest rental location to the Springs, I think maybe Norski Sports may be closest (but not the cheapest based on what I've seen).

I hear ya on the expensive lessons/lift prices! For that reason, we are booking 2-3 lessons for our kids at A-basin and then maybe 1 lesson at Keystone.

A-basin has a 4-pack of lessons for $480 & you can spread that out among multiple people.

Also includes the lfit ticket. You just can't beat that. Plus a 3-pack of lift tix are $149 per adult so my husb and I can ski for cheap while the kids are in their lesson. :-))

When I contacted Keystone ski school about snowboarding lessons for my 3 boys they said my 5 yr old (almost 6) was too young to do boarding there. A-basin said "no problem".

When I told Keystone I would have to go with A-basin cause I"m not splitting up my kids I got a pretty quick response that they would accept my youngest.

Best wishes to you, we will be there 4/5 - 4/11. :)

Mentioned in this post
The Springs
The Springs
70 Reviews
Keystone, CO
Keystone
Keystone
Colorado
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,470 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ski trip 4/3-4/7

I always forget about the small skating area in River Run. That one should be open in April. I was thinking of the big lake at Lakeside Village when I said it would be closed. Yes everything else should be open for you.

Mentioned in this post
Lakeside Village
Lakeside Village
91 Reviews
Keystone, CO
Little Rock
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ski trip 4/3-4/7

Skiing is expensive but lessons (as said) are invaluable ... put her in lessons every day, the improvement will be amazing, and it's the right thing to do for your child.

Edited: 23 March 2016, 08:15
Arlington, TX
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Ski trip 4/3-4/7

Yeah, I may have to check into A basin for the other 2 days of lessons. Thanks all for the info, I'm getting excited for the trip!!