We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Detour through Colorado National Monument

UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Detour through Colorado National Monument

Hi we will be driving from Glenwood Springs to Moab this Saturday. We would really like to detour through CNM. What time do you think it will take to drive from the east to west entrances? Do we need to allow extra time for traffic on a Saturday? Also is the east entrance signposted on the I-70?

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
5 replies to this topic
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
12,526 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Detour through Colorado National Monument

Here is your route from Glenwood Springs to and through Colorado National Monument and on to Moab by way of the Upper Colorado River Scenic Byway (128).

https://goo.gl/maps/aWWJFmJ4EYy

Allow extra time for the many overlooks along Rim Rock Drive.

Yes, there is a sign at exit 31 for Horizon Drive and the monument.

I have not driven this route on a Saturday in summer. I have never seen the monument overly busy in summer or any other time. The reason to get an earlier start for the monument is to have cooler temperatures. It can get quite hot there in summer.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado National Monument
Colorado National...
1,500 Reviews
Fruita, CO
Moab
Moab
Utah
Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
6,739 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Detour through Colorado National Monument

Yes, I think its very worthwhile to take the time to drive through the monument. You can do it in a couple of hours with stops at some of the overlooks.

You take exit 28 to get to the east entrance. You do have to go through town to get to the monument. I would suggest, though, that you go all the way to Fruita and come in the west entrance and stop at the visitor center. They have some interesting displays about the geology of the area that will make what you see make more sense. It will only add 15-20 minutes to do it west to east.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Detour through Colorado National Monument

We did a drive through with a stop for lunch in about 2 to 2.5 hours. We stopped at most of the overlooks.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,351 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Detour through Colorado National Monument

I'm glad you're going to go through the Monument. The visitor center is on the Fruita side and I think it's a great starting point. Especially if you have a child who wants to do the Junior Ranger program. Hope you have a wonderful visit.

UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Detour through Colorado National Monument

Great thank you so much for all of your replies we will definitely do this!

Reply to: Detour through Colorado National Monument
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted