We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

winter sports around fairplay

Tamworth, Australia
2 posts
winter sports around fairplay

I will be travelling to Colorado from Australia in December/January with my family, ages 7, 9, 11, 12. I have only skied twice before along time ago. My wife and kids have never skied, and my kids have never seen snow. I myself am from Colorado but have not been there for over 12 years. We have been given access to a cabin near fairplay. I am interested in taking my family skiing and tubing. I know there used tb be tubing run near frasier, is there any where closer? And, where is the best place locally to Fairplay for us to ski? Take into account we will need ski lessons. Our budget is limited, as we will also need to rent equipment.

1 reply
Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: winter sports around fairplay

Skiing- you are probably 25-45 minutes from Breckenridge from where you are staying (give me a general local and I can tell you exactly).

Breckenridge ski area- can rent everything...3 other ski resorts in the area past Breck...Copper Mountain, Araphoe Basin, Keystone.

Budget options: Check out Monarch Ski area in Salida, CO...my guess is an hour away.

Finally, Ski Cooper in Leadville, again probably about an hour...guessing that will be the least expensive of the bunch.

Tubing hill: Breckenridge, go to Carter park- buy a cheapo sled at Wal-Mart in Frisco, and go to the park in Breck.

Or you can pay for a tubing hill in Frisco or Copper (runs about $25+/hr/pp).

Matt

Reply to: winter sports around fairplay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fairplay