We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Errr....Should I Cancel Loveland Reservations?

Missouri
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Errr....Should I Cancel Loveland Reservations?

I have made reservations for Loveland, CO June 23-24 so we could spend some time in Rocky Mountain National Park for a few days. We decided to stay in Loveland because we waited to long to make reservations and all the cheap places were full and we were fine driving a little extra. Anyways, in light of the wildfires, as far as I can tell they are significantly closer to Loveland than Estes Park. I am now worried that things will change for the worse within the next week. I know things could go either way and no one here is a fortune teller. However, if I cancel my reservations by tomorrow I won't get charged, but if I wait until closer to time I'll get charged at least a nights stay, which isn't terrible, but I'm cheap so...yeah..

So...we are also planning on visiting Mt Rushmore/South Dakota. I would be terribly sad, but does anyone think we should just pass up RMNP and spend a few extra days in South Dakota or Wyoming?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
107 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Errr....Should I Cancel Loveland Reservations?

Loveland isn't as close as you think to the fires. It is more west of Fort Collins. There are definitely smoke and air quality issues in that area though. If you aren't planning on spending much time there...and you aren't going to get charged...and you can find another place to stay, estes park? I would cancel them. If you got a great deal and can't find a better deal...then keep them. I would hope that they would have more containment by next weekend. I

Missouri
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Errr....Should I Cancel Loveland Reservations?

I don't think we'd be able to find a place relatively cheaper in Estes Park. It seems that most places are double the price. In Loveland we found a little cabin with kitchenette for $89.00 a night, in Estes Park the same type of thing is like $150 or more... What about Boulder??

I also hope that the wildfire is more contained. I really hope that it is. But, in a weeks time it could get twice as bad and encompass twice as much land or it could be basically gone...who knows???

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Errr....Should I Cancel Loveland Reservations?

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it (unless you have a kid with serious asthma or something). I would definitely still visit RMNP (I'm headed up there tomorrow for some hiking). As for where you stay... I'd just keep your Loveland reservations.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,022 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Errr....Should I Cancel Loveland Reservations?

My sister was just here for a visit and stayed in the Embassy Suites in Loveland which is near the I-25/Highway 34 interchange. She has asthma and had to leave early due to the smoke. My mother lives in west Loveland, south of highway 34 and has not had any issues with smoke in that area. I basically live where Fort Collins, Windsor and Loveland share a border and there have been a couple of days where even indoors the smoke would burn your eyes and nose. The folks at Sylvan Dale Guest Ranch which is in a valley near the mouth of the Big Thompson Canyon north of highway 34 in Loveland reported a couple of days when the smoke settled in the valley causing irritation. As you can see, the amount of smoke in the Loveland area depends on location and wind direction and can vary.

I have spoken almost everyday to a friend in Estes Park and she says there has been no smell of smoke or any problems there. I noted yesterday evening there was an ozone warning for RMNP from 4:00pm to midnight.

I would agree with kingshimmers. Unless you have health issues, very small children, elderly or pregnant women making this trip, keep your reservations.

I am also headed to Estes Park tomorrow, but it is for business not hiking. :(

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Errr....Should I Cancel Loveland Reservations?

If it were me, I would go ahead with your plans. The report I just saw said the fire is primarily moving to the west now, even farther from Loveland. I drive from Denver to Fort Collins 3 days a week, and what fv1989 wrote mirrors my experience. Now it seems the smoke south of Fort Collins is getting less as the fire moves to the west, so you could try Longmont also. That said, who knows which way the wind will blow and how hard.

Regarding the air quality, last week I was looking at an air quality site http://www.airnow.gov/ and was going to send it to my work supervisor in Maryland to show him how orange and red the Fort Collins area was on the map, but then I looked at the air quality in Maryland for that day and it was also orange and red, and that was for a normal day there! So it's all relative I guess. We get used to fairly clean air in Colorado, so when fires hit, it seems really bad to us, when sometimes it is no worse than a normal day in other places.

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Errr....Should I Cancel Loveland Reservations?

If you decide to spend extra time in South Dakota and Wyoming, check out the Big Horn Mountains en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Horn_Mountains Sheridan is an nice place to stay near the Big Horns, and it is an direct drive north from Colorado, than directly east to the Black Hills from there.

Edited: 16 June 2012, 23:21
Missouri
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Errr....Should I Cancel Loveland Reservations?

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. After reading a lot of these replies and speaking with the owner of our accommodations I feel much, much better about visiting that area during this time. I would have been so sad to miss out on RMNP!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,022 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Errr....Should I Cancel Loveland Reservations?

Just got back from Estes, was there from 9:00am to 3:00pm including a brief drive through RMNP and I never smelled any smoke and there was no eye or nose irritation.

Houston
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Errr....Should I Cancel Loveland Reservations?

Hi all, any word on conditions in Estes park? we rented a house there from 7/1-7/4 up Fall River Rd, and planning to spend time in Estes and RMNP , so we are wondering what to expect. will keep checking day to day, but we are getting nervous (& no refund possible on the house, so hoping to make the most of it, but of course want to be safe w/ our little ones). Thanks in advance for any reports!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,022 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Errr....Should I Cancel Loveland Reservations?

Rocky Mountain National Park rangers posted this on Twitter on June 25. It basically tells you what you need to know.

"Due to hard work & outstanding efforts of firefighters & responding agencies, the Woodland Heights Fire on the west side of Estes Park was isolated to one neighborhood. There really is no impact to Rocky Mtn NP nor Estes Park. We can get haze & smoky smell from the High Park Fire west of Ft. Collins if the winds blow from that direction - most of the time the winds come from the opposite way. All park facilities except for isolated trails that lead from or to the national forest in the extreme north & northeast corner of the park are open with normal operations. Remember we do have a fire ban on all charcoal & wood fires, and smoking is only allowed outside in parking lots or developed areas that are cleared of all flammable materials for at least 3 ft in diameter. Come, enjoy your park! ks"