We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best route from Jackson to Denver

Lancs UK
Level Contributor
560 posts
254 reviews
Save Topic
best route from Jackson to Denver

Can anyone suggest the best most scenic route from Jackson to Denver.Is Lander and the Sinks Canyon a good option or going via the Dianasor National Monument and via the Flaming Gorge and Colorado National Monument to Denver?Thanks for your help.Just need to get flights sorted now but they are still quite expensive.

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best route from Jackson to Denver

Not knowing your schedule or month of travel, I will assume you started in Denver and already stopped by Rocky Mountain National Park, and are not in a hurry to get from Jackson to Denver.

So why not do both of your routes? I like the road from Jackson to Lander for scenic qualities. from Lander, cut over to Green River, then down to Vernal, then on to Colorado National Monument.

[One side note: North of the route by Lander, and very much out of your way on U.S. Hwy 20 is a very scenic canyon. the Wind River Canyon is between Thermopolis on the north and Shoshoni. http://wyomingtourism.org/cms/d/cms_624.php

Also hot springs and lodging in Thermopolis.]

Lancs UK
Level Contributor
560 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best route from Jackson to Denver

Hi Time2 thanks for your help again.You answered my queries earlier in the month,it was just this last bit I wasn't sure about.Thanks

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best route from Jackson to Denver

Yes, Lander and the Sinks Canyon SP is a good option. You'll have to drive from Jackson through GTNP first but that will be one of the highlights of your trip. The stretch between Moran Junction and Dubois is fantastic and south of Lander there are great views from wy 28 on the SP and the chocolate brown ridges. If you go via Rock Springs from Jackson directly, last part of the drive between Jackson and Rock Springs is less scenic but once you'll pass Rock Springs it's all beautiful along Flaming Gorge. If you are looking for a place to stay maybe check Red Canyon Lodge. There's a scenic descent with switchbacks down to Vernal. The Dinosaur Quarry in Vernal still is closed unfortunately. Also past Vernal there's a scenic drive on the Co. side to Grand Junction and the often overlooked Colorado NM. Not to mention the drive on I70 to Denver, one of the best stretches on interstates in the USA. Make stops along the way and admire!!

Tet

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best route from Jackson to Denver

Tet,

I'm curious.. How long would you estimate that it would take to drive that route from Jackson to Denver?

I'm still thinking about my itinerary that takes me from Moran to Lander to Encampment to Grand Lake (via WY 230/125) to Estes Park via Trail Ridge

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best route from Jackson to Denver

Hi Pozj

Do you mean Jackson-Lander-Vernal-Grand Junction?

We did it this way some years ago.

1. Grand Teton NP in the morning (been to GTNP before)-Moran Jct-Dubois. Stopped a lot of times because of scenery and wildlife-Lander. Stayed for the night in Lander.

2. Lander-Rock Springs-Flaming Gorge. Hikes, Dam, outlookpoints. So bit of exploring-Vernal. Saw the Quarry

3. Vernal-co 139 (stopped again a couple of times for the scenery, took time for coffee etc) Colorado NM, spend a couple of hours-Moab.

Well we have the time for those things because we travel at least for 1 month.

It will be quite a detour on your way to Grand lake.

Already mentioned we didnot do the drive on 287 from Lander to Rawlins. In your timeframe I suppose it's best to drive to Grand Lake and do TRR.

Tet

Lancs UK
Level Contributor
560 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best route from Jackson to Denver

All--thanks so much again for your help.

7. Re: best route from Jackson to Denver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 14:53