We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wiinnebago hire

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
wiinnebago hire

i am planning a trip to US to take in a loop starting in denver cos i can use airmiles to there from uk, and then heading north and west to San Francisco i think, then back and i have about 5 of my kids coming with me. I thought a winnegabo would be the way to do it for most fun/least cost possibly but my searches keep coming up with UK sites, not helpful...Any local information welcome.

in 2 weeks will i be able to take in yellowstone and drop down to San francisco? any recommendations for itinerary welcome!We will arrive 19 aug for 2 weeks.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: wiinnebago hire

You might have more luck searching for "RV rental" and not "Winnebago". I did that on Google and found many:

http://www.CruiseAmerica.com

http://tinyurl.com/29hnqu (link to Google Search)

I did a 14 night rental for Aug 19 and it was $2534 for a 7-person RV. It's $448 for 1400 miles of driving and "kits" for kitchen and sleep gear (bedding) were extra as well. Figure $3400 for the two weeks at minimum.

Driving Denver -> Yellowstone -> San Francisco -> Denver is 1269 miles, so without too much extra driving, you could stay under the 1400 miles.

http://tinyurl.com/2a4pq8 (link to Google Maps of Route)

Plan on gas being $3/gallon for your trip, I'll guess 10 miles a gallon, that's an extra $420 for the gas.

Day 1: Arrive in Denver, rent RV, drive to Cheyenne, WY (or Laramie, WY)

Day 2: Drive to Yellowstone

Day 3-5: Yellowstone

Day 6: Drive to Twin Falls, Idaho

Day 7: Drive to Reno, NV

Day 8: Drive to San Francisco

Day 9-11: San Francisco

Day 12: Drive to Reno, NV

Day 13: Drive to Salt Lake City, Utah

Day 14: Drive to Denver

Depending if you need to Fly out of Denver on the 14th day, you could trip a day in Yellowstone or San Francisco. My trip above has 3 full days in each which is probably a good minimum amount. I'd say cut off a day in San Francisco if you had to choose as the drive to Reno would be shorter and you could leave later in the day then.

Twin Falls, ID -> Reno and Reno -> Salt Lake City would be very long driving days.

Driving across Nevada during the hot August summer you should be prepared for the RV to break down with water. Keep an eye on the engine temperature as well and shut off the air conditioning if it starts to get warm. I drove across in a minivan I rented and needed to shut off the A/C when going up hills both for the extra power and to keep the engine temperature down. It will likely be 100 degrees or more during the day in Nevada.

If it's possible, you may wish to fly into Salt Lake City or even San Francisco as this would reduce your driving time, but then you would miss Denver, so maybe not.

I'm not sure about renting an RV to a non-American. You may wish to inquire if they will require an American license or test of some sort.

Insurance would be an added cost as well.

I hope I helped a little. Sounds like a fun family trip. Good luck!

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: wiinnebago hire

Another cost I forgot to mention is RV hookup fees. You'll definitely need to do it at Yellowstone and San Francisco. I don't know how much that would be. My guess is maybe $20 a night?

3. Re: wiinnebago hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 16:51