We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tips/ideas for October trip

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
86 posts
tips/ideas for October trip

Hi,

I will be visiting Denver October 5(arriving at night) - 9th(leaving mid morning.) So, 3 full days. It will be my husband, daughter (5) and myself. We are staying with a friend that lives downtown Denver. We will have access to a car. My friend just recently moved there so is not super familiar with things to do. I was thinking:

1 day touring around Denver( any place you would recommend?).

1 day doing Garden of the Gods, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, Broadmoor Seven Falls-- Probably not enough time for all 3-- Will October weather be ok for these activities? We don't mind being outside if its a little cold but I don't want my friend to have to drive in the mountains if its snowy.

1 day in boulder or fort Collins- Or do you have any other suggestions?

I considered RMNP but I think it might be a little far for a day trip. Thoughts on this?

Interests- Beer for my husband. He wants to do the coors tour but I feel like it might be a little commercialized. We typically like smaller breweries like Allagash in Maine. Outdoors, hiking, eating, animals.

Thanks in advance.

8 replies to this topic
Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
1. Re: tips/ideas for October trip

Denver and Colorado Springs are not in the mountains. It can snow in October but it is pretty rare. Weather should be nice I would expect 60s mid day with 30s at night as lows. No driving in the mountains to get to Colorado springs boulder or fort Collins.

RMNP is doable as a day trip but you would have to be up and out early to manage crowds, a weekday would be better that time of year. Its worth the trip if you are up for it.

Coors is commercial. Denver has tons of small breweries not sure the best tours though. New Belgium in Fort Collins does a good tour if you go that way.

If the weather is cooperating you should get out of the front range (Denver,springs, boulder) to experience the mountains. Everything else you mention is on the plains nt in the mountains but next to them. So either RMNP or go west on 70 to Summit County and do at least a mountain day trip on a sunny day.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
12,938 posts
136 reviews
2. Re: tips/ideas for October trip

Because RMNP Trail Ridge Road can be temporarily closed in early October due to snow/ice at higher elevations, call the 24 hour Trail Ridge Road status line at 970-586-1222.

Below are two daytrip ideas from Denver to RMNP.

Option 1

This is a popular and very scenic loop from Denver along the Peak to Peak Scenic Byway to Estes Park, RMNP Fall River Entrance, Trail Ridge Road to Grand Lake, over Berthoud Pass and along I-70 and back to Denver.

https://goo.gl/maps/gHoWtTfqKcr

Get an early start, pack a picnic or grab a picnic in Estes Park and plan on this being at least a 10 hour day. It will add 2 hours to your driving time just to stop for all the overlooks along Trail Ridge Road. See my reply #1 at the topic linked below detailing a day along Trail Ridge Road. Scroll down to the paragraph that begins, "I am going to assume you want to travel and explore just Trail Ridge Road."

tripadvisor.com/…85710632

Option 2

See my replies at this topic.

https:/…94550363

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,957 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: tips/ideas for October trip

Skip the Coors tour.

Boulder is a fun town with great hiking and many craft breweries along the lines of Allagash:

https:/…

http://boulderbreweryguide.com/breweries.aspx

http://www.bouldercoloradohiking.com/

http://www.beyondboulder.com/

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: tips/ideas for October trip

You have time to do all of the activities listed in Colorado Springs. Most likely won't be cold. No snow until Halloween (usually). There are a few small parking lots near 7 Falls entrance (with a green # sign). Just park in one of those & walk in. Otherwise, you can go to 1045 Lower Gold Camp Rd. for a free shuttle. If you decide to hike from The Broadmoor, it will take you an 1 1/2 hr. to walk to the falls & back to the hotel. There is parking behind the Broadmoor on El Pomar Rd. near the Pauline Chapel.

Lunch could be....depending where you are:

Pizza with a View @ the zoo (amazing views) Be sure & drive up to the Will Rogers Shrine for city views

1858 at 7 Falls (lodge style with great food) can sit outside if it's nice

8 restaurants @ The Broadmoor ( The Golden Bee - upstairs) is fun! Or a homemade sausage pizza from Del Lago has nice views of the Hotel on the lake. Sit outside.

Garden of the Gods ... go to Old Colorado City and choose from many along Colorado Ave.

If you get a chance, near the Broadmoor is a brewery in an old elementary school house. Bristol Brewery (makes Laughing Lab) @1604 S. Cascade. Another cool brewery in an old church with top brews is Local Relic 320 S Weber These are about a 5 minute drive from one another.

You will enjoy your day in the Springs, especially early Oct.

Edited: 31 August 2018, 07:52
colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: tips/ideas for October trip

Should have mentioned that Rocky Mt. Barbecue Company at the zoo also has amazing views.

Edited: 31 August 2018, 07:57
Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
86 posts
6. Re: tips/ideas for October trip

Thanks everyone! Will check all of those out.

Colorado
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
142 reviews
7. Re: tips/ideas for October trip

Recommend Prost Brewery tour instead. Coors is a factory, unless you love Coors beer, then it would be great.

5 year old might suggest a day trip to Boulder. It is an the foothills so you get a taste of mountains and there are some short hikes that could be fun. The people watching on Pearl St. Mall is a treat. Check out Into the Wind for kites and toys. I used to buy a years worth of little kiddie gifts when I went there to have one hand when a party pooped up.

8. Re: tips/ideas for October trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2018, 14:05

Reply to: tips/ideas for October trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted