We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kebler Pass - October 3rd week

Covington, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
56 reviews
Kebler Pass - October 3rd week

We are wondering if the first week of October is too late for aspen tree fall foliage. I understand the leaves will likely turn earlier this year because of drought but this is the only week we can come and wondering if we will likely be disappointed?

I know nothing is a guarantee but thought some locals could weigh in with their opinions?

Thank you!

11 replies to this topic
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
9,102 posts
197 reviews
1. Re: Kebler Pass - October 3rd week

The leaves are turning right now. In a month they will be long gone.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,454 posts
178 reviews
2. Re: Kebler Pass - October 3rd week

Is Kebler Pass a must for you? It is possible there will still be color a little further west/SW. I'll have a report from Grand Mesa today, and when we drove the Million Dollar Highway last weekend things were just beginning to turn in a few places above Silverton.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,454 posts
178 reviews
3. Re: Kebler Pass - October 3rd week

My DH just got back from Grand Mesa. He reports there's very little color change yet, just a few leaves here and there.

Denver
Level Contributor
30 posts
47 reviews
4. Re: Kebler Pass - October 3rd week

We drove from McClure Pass over Kebler Pass into Created Butte yesterday. Many of the trees on the Paonia side of Kebler Pass are still green. More color if not near peak from the top of Kebler to CB. Camped at Lost Lake and the colors were beautiful. Worth a drive if you’re in the area over the next 10 - 14 days. The large aspen grove on the Paonia side just has a little yellow so I would gamble and say it’ll still be beautiful.

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,102 posts
197 reviews
5. Re: Kebler Pass - October 3rd week

The OP is asking about the end of October. Leaves will be long gone by then.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
12,952 posts
136 reviews
6. Re: Kebler Pass - October 3rd week

It is unclear about which week the OP is inquiring. The title of the post says "October 3rd week" while the first sentence says, "We are wondering if the first week of October is too late." Perhaps, the OP can clarify their dates.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,527 posts
265 reviews
7. Re: Kebler Pass - October 3rd week

I don't believe the OP will be returning to this topic. I just checked his latest postings and it appears he has now decided to go to Buffalo. https:/…95030416

Akron, Ohio
9 posts
1 review
8. Re: Kebler Pass - October 3rd week

hello i am following this post and will be in the area next week. is this worth the drive from Estes Park and RMNP? Would one stay in Aspen overnight? Im unsure of travel time but may be interested in the drive if there is still fall color. Is Kebler Pass an easy drive? thanks all.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,454 posts
178 reviews
9. Re: Kebler Pass - October 3rd week

marvin c, I will be driving Kebler Pass today and will report on the colors. It is an easy drive, but you should know that it is unpaved and would technically be a violation of your rental car agreement--should you incur any damage to the vehicle your financial liability could be significant, even if the damage wasn't your fault. People do it; but there are many beautiful drives on paved roads. (McClure Pass being one of those in the area)

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,102 posts
197 reviews
10. Re: Kebler Pass - October 3rd week

Great minds think alike missp. We drove Ohio and Kebler passes yesterday :)

From yesterday:

imagehousing.com/image/ohiopassaspens/1384400

Reply to: Kebler Pass - October 3rd week
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Crested Butte