We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the bay of fundy? Lol

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
15 reviews
Where is the bay of fundy? Lol

I hate to sound stupid with this post but I am afraid I will. We are staying for five days in Halifax and everyone is telling us to make sure to “do the bay of fundy”. Problem is no one can point us where to go exactly or what to do exactly. We will have a 17 month old toddler with us but are renting a car. Any suggestions for a day trip? We are flexible and easy going. I think as far as 2-3 hours away is ok for us.

Thanks all

12 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,652 posts
66 reviews
1. Re: Where is the bay of fundy? Lol

ha ha ha ha ha. Grade 5 Social Studies, my friend. 😈

It’s the water body off the Wolfville - Digby shore.

I hope this link to a map will come out okay. I’m trying to llink it from a device.

https://goo.gl/maps/EVFsfKT1gr72

Edited: 02 August 2018, 00:07
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,361 posts
173 reviews
2. Re: Where is the bay of fundy? Lol

Google is great for avoiding asking 'stupid' questions.

The link above works if you zoom out.

For you it would be best to see the Bay of Fundy from the Wolfville area as it is closest. The link below has lots of information starting with general information and then going to particular regions.

http://bit.ly/2lGS07p Bay of Fundy

Here is a map showing Wolfville, Hall's Harbour and Scot Bay: https://goo.gl/maps/Gy5rTSmmd6Q2

New Brunswick...
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: Where is the bay of fundy? Lol

It's not a stupid question at all! The bay of fundy is the area of water between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and it has the highest tides in the world. Meaning at low tide it's really low and you can walk on the "ocean floor" and then at high tide it's really high and the area you could walk on at low tide is way under water.

Although the bay of fundy is quite large, the highest tide area is way up into the bay of fundy, the area around wolfville, parrsboro, advocate harbour for Nova Scotia or the area around Hopewell Rocks in New Brunswick. Those are the most popular areas to experience the bay of fundy.

Wolfville is the closest area to Halifax and most tourists choose to visit halls harbour which is nearby wolfville (short drive). In halls harbour there is a lobster pound restaurant, gift shop, rocky beach, pier, and fishing boats. Most people have a meal and watch the tides change. Parrsboro and advocate harbour are other options but are farther from Halifax. Hopewell Rocks is a good choice and very popular for families but that is in New Brunswick so could be farther than you want to go. I would suggest wolfville area/halls harbour as a good choice for you. It's best to see it at low tide and at high tide so you realize how significant the tides really are. There are other options to experience the bay of fundy such as tidal bore rafting and kayaking etc but with a small child those probably won't work for you.

There is lots to see and do around wolfville area so you could go to halls harbour and see high or low tide, then go visit other places such as wineries or zoo or farm markets or grand pre historic site and then go back to halls harbour and see it at the opposite tide. Other good options to see tide difference close to wolfville is blomidon beach, scots bay, Evangeline beach. Wolfville is a super cute town and this area makes a great day trip from Halifax.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 02:21
England, United...
Level Contributor
12,962 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Where is the bay of fundy? Lol

What a lovely diplomatic answer graywolf. You're obviously the leader of the pack!

New Brunswick...
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Where is the bay of fundy? Lol

Thanks Pam. Just trying to give a little of that east coast charm! Overall we are a happy and helpful bunch. Plus the bay of fundy can be a little confusing so definitely a question I think many wonder about.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Where is the bay of fundy? Lol

Thank you - that was such a thorough answer and exactly what I was looking for. If anyone before you had bothered to read my post they would’ve realized it wasn’t abouy me googling where the bay is and suggesting I get grade school education, but moreso a question of where to visit exactly :)

Thanks!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,652 posts
66 reviews
7. Re: Where is the bay of fundy? Lol

I'm sorry, sayvenus ~

I thought the soft words "my friend" from a fellow Canadian and the little devil emoticon would have communicated a bit of humour about school "dayz." I guess I missed the mark.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 10:26
Covington, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1 post
59 reviews
8. Re: Where is the bay of fundy? Lol

We are here in Indian Harbor wondering the same thing... how to experience the Bay of Fundy in one afternoon. Thank you for a wonderful answer to this question!!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,361 posts
173 reviews
9. Re: Where is the bay of fundy? Lol

The problem for you, janeewoo, is that in one afternoon you will not have time to see the full tide change. That takes about six hours. Check the Bay of Fundy link for tide times in Baxter's Harbour to see when it will be high and low tides for your date. You can get some idea of the change in tides in less time, depending upon the tide times. Best would be to see Hall's Harbour at low tide and then stay long enough to see the water flowing back in. They have markers there to give you some idea. You can look on this same link to see a time lapse video of the tide change at Hall's Harbour. http://bit.ly/2lGS07p

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
168 reviews
10. Re: Where is the bay of fundy? Lol

Maybe because I used to live on the beach with the second highest tides in the world, just a few inches less than the Bay of Fundy, but I just don't see the attraction, unless of course, it has been made into some kind of 'theme park'! Ours was just a beach! To get the full effect, you have to be there, or go back there over a six hour period, beginning at the time of high or low tide and be back six hours later. If you arrived at 'mid tide' and came back six hours later, it would look the same!

In addition, it's far better to coincide your visit with the 'Spring' tide, where on our beach, the height would be 53' as opposed to the 'Neap' tides, where the high tide would only be 38'. There are normally two Spring tides a month. It has nothing to do with the Spring season.

I am assuming the Bay of Fundy operates the same way as 'my' beach in Wales. !

Reply to: Where is the bay of fundy? Lol
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bay of Fundy...