We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance from South San Francisco to Monterey

Alliance, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Distance from South San Francisco to Monterey

We will be renting a car at the airport and wondered how long it would take on rt.1 to get to Monterey. It will be a Sunday morning. Should we take a faster route? We can take rt 1 on the return trip which would be a week day. Thanks

6 replies to this topic
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance from South San Francisco to Monterey

It's about 2 hours if you go the faster route (although I recommend staying off 101; instead take I380W->I280S->85->17->1S).

You can take Highway 1 the entire way and it will take an additional 30-45 minutes. Catch Highway 1 at Half Moon Bay (I380W->I280S->92W->1S).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,100 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance from South San Francisco to Monterey

Well doing Hwy 1 either day is fine how long will it take- a few hours with stops. About 2 1/2 -3 or so if you just drive and take a few photo stops

Edit What WD said

Edited: 16 July 2016, 22:02
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,864 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance from South San Francisco to Monterey

If you wish to sightsee en route, you can visit Henry Cowell Redwood Park, Big Basin (also redwoods), the surfing/college/boardwalk town of Santa Cruz including Natural Bridges State Park, the charming Mediterranean village of Capitola, numerous state and county beaches/parks, and the visitor center at Elkhorn Slough wildlife habitat, all between SFO and Monterey. These would be slightly less busy on a weekday, I suspect. However, which you pick might help determine your route.

Malibu, California
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance from South San Francisco to Monterey

I'd take the 92 over to Highway 1 and take a leisurely drive down it. It will 30 to 40 minutes to the drive but it is a great drive.

Alliance, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance from South San Francisco to Monterey

Thanks so much. We will be on vacation so I think we will take rt 1 at rt 92.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,400 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Distance from South San Francisco to Monterey

Here is a traveler article about Santa Cruz, which you will go through on your way. It has a link to Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park which is mentioned above.

http://tinyurl.com/jtp2xjv

Reply to: Distance from South San Francisco to Monterey
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted