We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning trip to San Fransisco

Nuriootpa, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Planning trip to San Fransisco

I am planning a trip to the states next year and as with something this big I have started on this site.We will be spending 16 nights (not enough by all accounts) between San Fran, L A and Vegas.

Fly into SFO leave from LAX. Looking at accommodation and the costing and where to start is an eye opener. My last O S trip was Singapore in 92.We want to spend three nights in San Fran and a night in Santa Rosa. Any info would be well received in respect to accommodation. Have been looking at places on the outer of San Fransisco but obviously there some places to stay and some to avoid. We will hire a car for a couple days but that will just be to go to Santa Rosa and back to SFO to fly to Vegas.

Cheers

Andrew......

2 replies to this topic
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning trip to San Fransisco

Hi Andrew, welcome to the forums.

I suggest you repost on the San Francisco forum -- this is the South San Francisco forum. SSF is a city about 10 miles south of SF and doesn't even share a border with SF.

When you get to the SF forum, please read the Top Questions on the right side of the screen (full version of TA, not mobile nor app). We have a LOT of info there that we've collected over the years as FAQs. One there gives a lot of info about why to stay in the city when you visit -- and not try to base yourself outside the city limits. We also have a lot of good info there on budget hotels in the city.

When you repost, please give us your nightly budget per night (in US$) as well as your EXACT dates. SF is a popular convention town and large ones (which are ever more frequent) can cause hotel prices to soar. There is a link to the convention calendar in our TQs also. If you're still flexible on your schedule, be sure to stay away from the city when anything with more than 10,000 people is in town.

Why Santa Rosa? Friends or family there? Otherwise, it's not a tourist mecca. If you're looking for a wine country experience, check out Healdsburg or Sonoma town instead.

Silicon Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning trip to San Fransisco

Check various possible dates for SF hotel rates. There can be a big variation between weeks an between weekdays and weekends due to convention schedules.

Reply to: Planning trip to San Fransisco
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted