We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hours in San Fransisco

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
24 hours in San Fransisco

Hi I am arriving at SFO late on 1 January and leaving again 24 hours later. I would like to get a few hours in the city but I dont want to hire a car.

I was hoping to get the BART into SFO and stay near a station however my flight does not arrive until 11:05PM and I am worried I will miss the last one as the service is reduced for the holiday.

So looking for recommendation for some where cheap to stay in or very near the airport?, preferable somewhere that I can walk to from the terminal or get a free shuttle to?

6 replies to this topic
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 hours in San Fransisco

Anyone ??

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 hours in San Fransisco

Well, you posted in the South San Francisco forum. SSF is a town about 10 miles south of SF and whose borders don't abut SF. Most SF forum regulars check the California forum irregularly and odd ball threads drop to page 3+ pretty quickly.

There is NOTHING within walking distance of the airport. Including a hotel. There are hotels with free shuttles but you might wait as long for them to come along at that time of night as it would to get to the city. Take a cab into the city (will be a quick ride and probably about $35-40 to downtown).

If you repost in the SF forum you'll get almost spontaneous responses.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,332 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 hours in San Fransisco

use a booking site to find a hotel close to SFO and then the next morning keep your bags in storage and take BART to SF , spend the day and get back at night. Our Top questions in the San Francisco Forum have info on what to do and see

none of us have a running tab of the current rates of all or any hotels so the usual chain hotels are all around Best western, Holiday Inn, Hyatt, Hilton and Marriott. Best Western El Rancho Inn or Dylan's SFO and Bay Landing are mentioned often

Edited: 05 November 2015, 05:36
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,409 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 hours in San Fransisco

Dylan SFO is right across the road from the Millbrae BART station. They have a free shuttle to and from SFO. It's a basic motel but with updated furnishings. We had family stay there this year. Looks like reasonable rate for Jan 1st. The other motels mentioned are not that close to BART so you have to bus or cab or walk.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
18,172 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 hours in San Fransisco

Normally I would suggest coming into the city for the night, but given that you're arriving late on Jan. 1, a lot of restaurants, bar, clubs, etc. are closed that day since they were all working until the early hours. I might consider just staying by the airport and hitting the city the next day (luggage-less), then returning to the airport for your flight.

Staying at the airport is one of the few times I'll book on a "blind" site like Priceline, since airport hotels are fairly indistinguishable from each other for basically 9 hours of sleep. I'd bid with high stars and a low-ball price and see what happens. (Several years ago, I could get airport hotels for $25/night for brand names.)

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,909 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 hours in San Fransisco

Along with The Dylan that chinita415 mentioned, there's a Fairfield Inn right by the Millbrae BART station and a Staybridge Suites near the San Bruno/Tanforan BART station. Both have airport shuttles.

Reply to: 24 hours in San Fransisco
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted