We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton San Francisco Union Square

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Hilton San Francisco Union Square

We are coming to San Francisco for a girls’ get-away weekend. We are staying at the Hilton San Francisco Union Square. We made our reservations months ago. We just learned that we have a classic room in the unrenovated part of the hotel. We can upgrade for $40 extra ($120 total). Just checking to see if anyone has stayed in this type of room and if it is worth it to upgrade. I was told that 80% of the hotel has been renovated. We won’t be spending much time in the room but do want a nice place to come back to relax and sleep. Any feedback will be appreciated!!!

7 replies to this topic
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,481 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton San Francisco Union Square

Few of the locals on this forum have stayed there or or are up to date on renovations. I hope someone from out of town can help you.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton San Francisco Union Square

Thanks! I hope so too.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,096 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton San Francisco Union Square

You might search recent reviews on TA to see if anyone mentions "renovated" or "unrenovated". Or call the hotel concierge and ask the difference.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton San Francisco Union Square

I want to provide comments after our trip. Our stay was fine at the Hilton San Francisco Square. The location was great for us. The hotel was also one of the stops for the Grayline Bus Tour which was a plus. I was trying to determine if we should pay and upgrade to a renovated room. We had a reserved a room with two beds. However, at check-in we were offered a renovated room at no cost. We accepted the room and proceeded to the room with our luggage. Upon arrival to the room, we immediately called and requested to transfer to an older unrenovated room. The renovated room was very, very small. It had a modern look but was too small, especially the bathroom. There was no vanity to put any cosmetics and toiletries. There was only a small area over the toilet. We were very pleased with the old unrenovated room because it was much bigger. The newer renovated room had to full size beds but the older unrenovated room had two queen beds. The room was not old and we found the furnishings fine (traditional –not old). It also had a desk and chair which the renovated room did not have.

Also, the service was very good. I will definitely stay at Hilton San Francisco Square again if they don’t convert all the rooms to the small renovated rooms.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,481 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton San Francisco Union Square

If you want to write a review be sure to put it in the correct forum. This forum is South San Francisco, which is a completely different city from San Francisico and your review would not be seen there.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,096 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton San Francisco Union Square

Room renovations don't usually change the size of the rooms... I think it might have been a coincidence that your renovated room was smaller, especially since the first room was only a "double double" and the other had two queens.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,828 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton San Francisco Union Square

while I appreciate your feedback, it is is best to post reviews in the review section of TA and not in a forum post in the wrong forum as was mentioned

Reply to: Hilton San Francisco Union Square
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted