We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Monterey To Sonoma

Manhattan, Kansas
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
From Monterey To Sonoma

My husband and I will be attending a conference in Monterey Aug 12-16. We have never been to Sonoma or Napa Valley. We are flying into San Jose and will take a rental car down to Monterrey. Can I get some recommendations on which place to go since we are driving from Monterrey are and then have to get back to San Jose for flying home? Any idea of time from Monterrey to one of the locations above? Thanks for any info/advice you can offer us.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Monterey To Sonoma

Monterey to the airport in San Jose is about 1.5 hours.

Napa is closer than Sonoma to Monterey.

To get there, you would take 101 back up to San Jose, then north for another 1.5 hours to Napa. (3 hours total).

Sonoma involves more distance and traffic.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Monterey To Sonoma

I think that AL is talking about Sonoma County, not Sonoma Valley. Sonoma Valley is the same distance from Monterey as the Napa Valley, about an hour. From Monterey to San Francisco is...ummm..maybe an hour and 45 minutes, but allow some time to get through the city.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Monterey To Sonoma

Mapquest says the drive up to Napa is 2.5 hours. That's probably right; I drove to Calistoga at the north end of the valley in about 3 hours, taking in the sights. And I always factor in a few minutes to pull over at the fruit stands near Gilroy! Mmmm...

Yeah, Sonoma the town isn't too much further if you go there from the east. (about 2:45 on Mapquest) I went through San Fran to get there, which was a beautiful but frustrating drive.

4. Re: From Monterey To Sonoma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 07:49