We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saturday

Missouri
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Saturday

Hello all. I'm currently staying in Monterey. Saturday is the day I'll be driving up to San Francisco. I had planned on going up Hwy 1 and spending the day in the Santa Cruz area. Places like Henry Cowell, Natural Bridges.

I see they're calling for possible heavy rain. I live in Missouri, and that means it's usually unsafe to be driving. What does "heavy rain" mean in California?

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
California
California
United States
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,478 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saturday

no it is not unsafe for driving in most part of the area but they say the rain may be heavy at times and especially when one goes in the Santa Cruz mountains via 17 or highway 9 it may be heavy -- but the rain here does not go on and on and on like it does in your neck of the woods. we do get sustained rain at times but generally it is normally a downpour and then drizzle Hard to say .

www.weatherunderground.com is a good site with local forecast down to a specific part of SC or Monterey

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saturday

I heard this storm might bring 2-3 inches. It might be rather breezy/windy. It's rare that our rain is such a downpour that you can't see to drive. And if it does happen, it's for just a few moments.

Only thing is, it does look like it's going to rain most of the day (at least in SF) so how much "out and about" do you want to do in the wet?. Did you plan on taking Highway 1 north of Santa Cruz all the way to SF?

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,439 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saturday

You'll be fine. Our "heavy rain" will probably be a "light drizzle" to you ;-)

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,744 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saturday

From Monterey...

>>Saturday is the day I'll be driving up to San Francisco. I had planned on going up Hwy 1 and spending the day in the Santa Cruz area. Places like Henry Cowell, Natural Bridges.<<

Should be ok but I would monitor Google traffic and Waze. Now that the Devil's Slide bypass tunnels opened a few years ago, it should not be an issue. But before then, a big storm like this may have caused closures there. (I was named Devil's Slide for a reason). http://www.devilsslidecoast.org/history/

There isn't anywhere else on that drive as bad as that now. But it is a 2 lane country road is some spots so it does not take much to cause back up due to accidents or flash flood due to swollen creeks. And Santa Cruz County does tend to get the most rains during our storm.

Chances are that you will be fine. Keep checking the weather reports on Friday night before you commit to that drive. Weather Channel is pretty good about alerting you to those official NOAA warnings. I usually also check our local station KTVU: http://www.ktvu.com/weather

Monterey to Santa Cruz should be fine, even to Cowell if no major issue. Asking with WD how you plan to go to SF after that. From Cowell, it is a slight backtrack to get back on Hwy 1. It might be easier if you go 17 north to 85 north to 280 north to SF unless you want to see Half Moon Bay, Moss Beach, Devil's Slide etc. Would not be as dramatic as the Big Sur and Monterey area.

Edited: 04 March 2016, 04:41
Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
California
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,744 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saturday

IT was name Devil's Slide... not me!!!

Missouri
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Saturday

Thanks everyone. People on Trip Advisor rock! I'll check out the local weather links y'all sent Friday night and in the morning. I don't mind being out in a drizzle; in fact I love it, especially in the Redwoods. If it looks bad, I'll try to wait it out in Monterey. Worse comes to worse I'll skip the fun and take 101 to 85.

I've only driven 17 once, Hwy 1 several times. From Henry Cowell which would be better (safer) in the rain?

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,221 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saturday

HI,

Santa Cruz is only 45 minutes from Monterey.

I know that they predict a "storm" on the weekend....."promises, promises" I will believe it when I see it.

From Henry Cowell, there is no "safety" issue in the rain on either Hwy 1 or Hwy 17. (Well unless you are an Indie 500 driver).

Both are well-engineered highways.. Hwy 1 is flat, and two lane, and has views of the ocean. Hwy 17 goes over the coast range and has about 8 to 10 miles of curvy road, but it is four lane divided. It is also scenic, but in a different way.

As you can see by my avatar I live in Santa Cruz. We almost always use Hwys 17, 85, 280. except when there is an accident on Hwy 17 which blocks traffic. In which case we take Hwy 1 to Half Moon Bay and then Hwy 92 up to 280 and on into the city.

You might like this route, for ocean views. although Hwy 280 has been called "the most beautiful freeway in the world" as it goes though the foothills of the coast Range.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
California
Missouri
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Saturday

Sounds good. Thanks!

9. Re: Saturday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2017, 11:47