We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last day memory

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
517 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Last day memory

I am planning a graduation trip to the Monterey/Big Sur areas for my 17 yr old daughter who loves the outdoors. I have planned some activities in Monterey and hiking in Big Sur. I am looking for something besides hiking to do on our last day/evening t of our trip where we will be in the Santa Cruz Mountains at a cabin in Ben Lomond. Any suggestions-trying to make a memorable trip!

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last day memory

Since I don't know your daughter I am hesitant to say what would be memorable for her, but here is a traveler article on Santa Cruz which describes it and some of what is here to see and do. Ben Lomond is only10 miles or so up Hwy 9 from Santa Cruz.

http://tinyurl.com/cy7nl3c

If you have questions let me know. It sounds like a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,632 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last day memory

Are you thinking maybe a special meal or an outing?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last day memory

Since she likes hiking, I assume that she is an 'outdoor' person.

Would she like to see the ancient redwood trees at Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park? You don't need to hike. There is an iinterpretive 0.8 mile walk through them. The entrance and the visitor center will be on your left on the outskirts of Felton on your way into town on Hwy 9. If you have not seen them in other parts of the state, I would suggest a stop here, and would consider it a "memorable' experience. There is a link to the park in the 'sights and activities' link I gave you in my first message.

Also a drive up to the UC campus (also described in the link in my first message) gives what I would consider a "memorable" experience with the gorgeous view over he Bay to Monterey.,... and a 17-year old might be interested in a drive around this beautiful campus if she is going to be interested in colleges.

If fact, you could string together several of the things mentioned in the article to make a memorable experience for her....even shopping :~) on tree-lined Pacific Avenue. ("Forever 21", anyone? My granddaughter spends a lot of time there when she visits.)

How about a ride on the 101 year old wooden roller coaster and the 101 year old carousel at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.

If she is into nature, the Monterey Bay Sanctuary Discovery Center, just across from the Municipal wharf is worth a stop......it has interesting interactive displays.

Never mind, I could go on. Let me know if you have questions or ideas which might be memorable for her.

And have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park
Henry Cowell Redwoods...
580 Reviews
Felton, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Hotel Pacific
Hotel Pacific
985 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Monterey Bay
Monterey Bay
2,504 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Level Contributor
38,273 posts
1,004 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last day memory

A nice meal at Shadowbrook Inn would be fun in nearby Capitola. You take a little trolley car down to the dining room. Excellent food and pretty ambiance there. :).

Mentioned in this post
Shadowbrook
Shadowbrook
860 Reviews
Capitola, CA
Capitola
Capitola
California
5. Re: Last day memory

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2017, 11:46