We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into San francisco

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Flying into San francisco

Flying into San francisco, trying to figure out the best route to hit San Francisco attractions, see Redwoods at Henry Cowel and then Napa. We are here for 6 nights. Should we drive straight down to Santa Cruz from San Fran, stay one or two nights? then head up to San Fran, spend 3 nights, and then spend the last two nights in Napa? Just trying to figure out the best course of action and how many days are really needed in each city. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
18,987 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into San francisco

So you have 6 nights, and want to see Santa Cruz, Henry Cowell Redwoods, SF and Napa? Do you have enough things to see around Santa Cruz to make an overnight stay necessary? If it's only an overview of Santa Cruz plus the redwoods, you could do that in a day trip from SF.

Personally, I would suggest 4 nights SF (and rent a car on your next-to-last day for a day trip to Santa Cruz and pay for the overnight parking). Then 2 nights in Napa.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,298 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into San francisco

Are you only interested in the redwoods in Santa Cruz? If so, why not Muir Woods from SF? That will save some driving.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,934 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying into San francisco

You probably know that Santa Cruz and Napa are in opposite directions from San Francisco. I don't believe it makes much difference in what order you visit them. San Francisco needs at least three nights (that is only two days). It depends upon what you want to do in Napa ad Santa Cruz how much time you spend.

Either could be a day trip from the city and not require overnights, unless you have a lot you want to do.

Here is a traveler article on Santa Cruz for information on what is here.

http://tinyurl.com/cy7nl3c

Edited: 31 October 2015, 06:35
Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying into San francisco

Exactly, that's where I'm struggling, we are flying in and out of San Fran so trying to decide where to venture to first and not leaving us with a huge drive on our day that we need to head back to the airport. So right now, either want to start in San Fran or go straight to Santa Cruz

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Livermore, CA
Level Contributor
7 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying into San francisco

Hi,

I would go straight to Santa Cruz for night 1, enjoy activities that day if you arrive early and then the next day you can stop in Big Basin and then drive to Napa, about two hours. You may get there later. So you can spend the next day there since the drive to the City from there isn't as long.

You can even do nights 2 in Napa. Then spend the other three nights in the City.

Just know Bay Area commuter traffic can be a pain.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,934 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying into San francisco

>>Exactly, that's where I'm struggling, we are flying in and out of San Fran so trying to decide where to venture to first and not leaving us with a huge drive on our day that we need to head back to the airport<<

Have you looked at the mileage and driving times?

Neither Napa nor Santa Cruz are" huge driving times" from SFO....about two hours in both cases, maybe even less, depending upon traffic.

Your biggest problem, as I see it, is deciding what you want to do and see in each of the three locations, San Francisco, Samta Cruz. and Napa, and how much time you want to spend doing and seeing those things.

Mentioned in this post
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying into San francisco

That sounds like a great plan. Ok, so should only take about 2 hours from Santa Cruz to Napa. Ending in San Fran could be a good idea

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,934 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying into San francisco

Sorry, it will take more than 2 hours from Santa Cruz to Napa. More like three. SF is 70 miles from Santa Cruz. We can make it in something over an hour, but then you have to cross the city to get on the way to Napa, which is then about 40 miles, depending upon where you want to be in the Napa Valley. Count that as an hour with traffic.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Napa Valley
Napa Valley
California
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying into San francisco

We only want to see Redwoods, so whatever is closest to San Francisco the better-my sis in law suggested Santa Cruz to see Redwoods, but open to other options, I've read some reviews that Muir Woods tends to be crowded? How far is Muir woods from San Fran? I've heard I definitely need a couple days in San Fran, and to not rent a car until we are leaving due to parking etc. But if we are headed to Santa Cruz or Napa first, we will need the car. So wondering if we should just stay in San Fran for the first couple of days, and then pick up the car. Just hate that from Santa Cruz to Napa it's such a hike, I'm sure it is a beautiful drive though ;) thanks for all the input, really helps! Just having such a hard time trying to understand the logistics.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor