We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great America worth it without the water rides?

San Diego...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Great America worth it without the water rides?

Is Great America worth the visit without the water rides? we had planned a road trip from San Diego but had not planned on my daughter breaking her ankle. we are considering still going, as she will be in a walking cast by then and we can rent a wheelchair, but all the water rides are out. Is there enough to amuse us?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great America worth it without the water rides?

It's been a while since I've been but we went in May and it was still quite warm there and all I remember are the water rides (OK the bumper cars too).

However, I'm not a coaster enthusiast.

But it does get hot there and the water rides were heaven.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great America worth it without the water rides?

We have been going every August for the last few years. The water rides are fun but I wouldn't say they are the best part of the park. When we want to cool off a bit we go into the Sponge Bob theater where it's 3 D and the seats move like you are on a ride. It's nice and cool and pretty fun. There is alot of shade at this park and it's much cooler than Six Flags in Vallejo

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
26,753 posts
5,781 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great America worth it without the water rides?

If your daughter is 11 years or older, she will have a good time even without the water rides. Best to speedy recovery for her.

(Note: I am saying 11 or older as I've taken younger children there and they have had mixed reaction - some like it; some do not. Great America caters well to pre-teens and teens as a major part of their attendance base.)

San Diego...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Great America worth it without the water rides?

Thanks for the feedback. We are definite coaster fans so I think we will stick with our plan and hopefully have a great time at Great America!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great America worth it without the water rides?

If you are coaster fans, then California's Great America is a great choice. If you visit Knott's Berry Farm or Knott's Soak City Chula Vista, look into getting a Platinum Season Pass, or upgrading a lower version you already have, as they are all Cedar Fair run parks.

Also in the Northern California Bay area, there is Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, a former MarineWorld park that has turned into a 3 part park, one Part Marine Park, one Part Zoo, and one part Rides and Coasters. And if you have a Six Flags Magic Mountain Season Pass, you get into SFDK for free.

Also in the area,, Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, which only has a couple of Roller Coasters, but still a fun day right on the beach. Slightly similar to Belmont ark in Mission Beach, but much larger. (Both have a "Giant Dipper" and the family that runs SCBB has the operating contract for Belmont Park.

The other one is Gilroy Gardens in Gilroy. a small park with rides for kids, and a couple of coasters. Managed bu Cedar Fair, so a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass gets you in for free.

6. Re: Great America worth it without the water rides?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 06:45
Get answers to your questions about Santa Clara