We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early Morning Breakfast Options?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
341 posts
100 reviews
Early Morning Breakfast Options?

Hello all,

We are staying overnight in San Simeon and leaving early the next morning (6:30am-ish) to drive North to San Francisco. We want to leave super early so that we have time to make several stops along the way and still get into San Francisco at a decent hour.

My question is: does anyone know of anywhere we will be able to get breakfast that early in San Simeon? We are staying at the Best Western Cavalier, but I spoke with them and their restaurant does not open until 7 am. According to them, there is nowhere else to eat between San Simeon and Carmel (which would take several hours to get to, with our planned stops). Surely we are not the first people to have this issue!

We aren't looking for anything fancy - in fact, the faster, the better (I would be fine with a muffin or something). We just need some sort of nourishment before starting off for the day! I've read that there are some restaurants at Ragged Point but this isn't somewhere we had been planning on stopping (though if that is our only option, I suppose we might). Is this a far distance off the highway, and does anyone know what time the restaurant/s open? Any other options?

Thank you :)

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
159 reviews
1. Re: Early Morning Breakfast Options?

Hi Erin!

https://goo.gl/maps/01mfA Best Western to Bixby Bridge

Ragged Point is right on the highway. The dining room offers a Breakfast menu, so it might be open? There are public picnic tables (snack bar stand which will probably not be open) in the front where you could bring some breakfast snacks items (pickup in Cambria day before) for a brief stop. The short path to the "altar/oracle deck" is worth a stroll just to see the northern facing coastline. You can also continue for a short loop to a further point, then back to the parking area. This is not an Oh Wow but still unique!

Further along is the Coast Gallery Cafe (believe opens at 10AM?) with a nice deck to sit on overlooking highway and ocean. It's breakfast food portions (self serve order, food brought to table) are large portions, so splitting is fine. The lox and waffles are particularly good! Also, the gallery has some really nice pieces. I recommend a short stop just to peruse its multi levels!

Note: For McWay Fall just park on the highway by the entrance to the State Park. There is a fence blocking direct access down the foliage covered hillside for the Fall Vista area. But the South end/ocean side (somewhat hidden), has a staircase to walk down to the access path coming down from the somewhat distant State Park lot with its fee parking!

For a quick overnight, the Sands By The Sea Motel (sister property to the Best Western) shares the parking areas is very clean. If you are not using the Resort facilities at the Best Western, then you can save a few bucks at the Sands. You can still walk down to the beach and to the fire pits. Both properties use the same Diner which you are unable to use before 7AM!

Hopefully this helps?

Edited: 19 September 2014, 02:41
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
341 posts
100 reviews
2. Re: Early Morning Breakfast Options?

Thank you! I will definitely have to check out the Coast Gallery Cafe. And that is great advice on McWay Falls!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
22,062 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Early Morning Breakfast Options?

I suggest picking up something to snack on from a market in Cambria before making the drive the following day. Doubtful anything at Ragged Point will be open super early and it's only a 15-20 drive away from San Simeon. Otherwise, you're looking at a good 2 hours before you reach the "village" area of Big Sur where you'll find places open.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,659 posts
71 reviews
4. Re: Early Morning Breakfast Options?

I agree with Kibbles.

San Simeon is not really a town. Just drive the few minutes south to Cambria and buy muffins/fruit etc. to have in the morning for your drive. Then stop for more food later in the day.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
341 posts
100 reviews
5. Re: Early Morning Breakfast Options?

Thanks, all. I spoke with my hotel and confirmed that they always have free apples and coffee in the lobby, so I think we will grab those and bring some protein bars to tide us over until we get into Big Sur Village. My boyfriend already has his eye on the Big Sur Deli as a quick mid-morning stop! Then we will probably stop for an actual (late) lunch when we hit Carmel/Monterey. Thanks, again :)

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,992 posts
120 reviews
6. Re: Early Morning Breakfast Options?

I'd just pick up something in Cambria the day before - muffins, fruit, etc. You can then have a picnic breakfast at some nice spot along the way.

7. Re: Early Morning Breakfast Options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2015, 09:46