We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hearst Castle Grounds Size?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Hearst Castle Grounds Size?

I have read how large a property the castle is situated on, but how much of the grounds can you actually walk around outdoors? We are trying to decide between 1 guided tour and then walking around the property or if it’s only a small area you can walk around then possibly 2 guided tours. Any thoughts would be awesome, thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2,698 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hearst Castle Grounds Size?

The area you get to walk around is immediately around the house. You don't get free roam of the huge ranch. The gardens are lovely but they don't take much time to see and enjoy.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hearst Castle Grounds Size?

Oh okay that's great to know! Do you recommend 2 tours then if we were going to spend a morning there.... we are thinking Upstairs Suites and Kitchens and Cottages.....

Level Contributor
2,698 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hearst Castle Grounds Size?

I've been a couple of times and both times took the basic tour (I forget the name of it). The 1st time was when it tours were longer but they didn't offer roaming the gardens. The tours are only 45 minutes now so doing two might make sense.

There is a regular on this forum who is a San Simeon tour guide. Hopefully they'll be along and can give you more perspective.

Mentioned in this post
San Simeon
San Simeon
San Luis Obispo County, CA
So Cal
Level Contributor
11,379 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hearst Castle Grounds Size?

It really depends on how interested you are in the details. We spent a couple hours roaming around the grounds, admiring the outsides of the guesthouses, the statuary, getting up-close looks at the main house, comparing different views...We had several days in the area, so we had the luxury of taking it slowly and drinking it all in. *I downloaded their app, as well, which gave me a lot of extra info on what we were seeing.

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
Level Contributor
552 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hearst Castle Grounds Size?

The guided tours last 60 minutes and, as JenAzz mentioned, you can walk the grounds and be done in half an hour or leisurely take in everything on the grounds for an hour or two. There are places to sit and linger and take in the view, and an app you can load to your phone that describes the art in the gardens as you stand in front of it. Plus there are guides on the grounds who can talk about things with you. There are Roman sarcophogi and Egyptian pieces, fountains and the pools. Your idea to do the Upstairs and Cottages/Kitchen will give you a broad look at the place since you'll see a good part of the Main House (Casa Grande) and the earlier constructed "cottages." You will stay on the hilltop between tours. Be advised there is no food allowed so if you intend to stay awhile, have a good breakfast or lunch before going up!

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,550 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hearst Castle Grounds Size?

Wanderluster255

Very helpful advice

We have visited Hearst Castle several times and recommend a visit/tour

Mentioned in this post
Hearst Castle
Hearst Castle