We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

possible move to Sacramento area

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
27 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
possible move to Sacramento area

We are a family with both elementary and high school age children who may be moving for a job opportunity in Sacramento. Looking for info on a good community to live in. Schools are very important. Kids also play hockey, which I would give a fair amount of importance to as well. Have done some research on Davis. Any other suggestions? any ideas about what life is like there would be helpful. We would be coming from a very very small town in the East. Simple family life and small town community oriented place to live is what we are looking for. Outdoors recreation is great too! thanks

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: possible move to Sacramento area

I personally like it more toward the foothills--Folsom area. You might check it out.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: possible move to Sacramento area

The closest ice hocky rink to Folsom is Skatetown in Roseville. Quite a hike from Folsom. Maybe Roseville or Rocklin if hocky is a big deal.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
27 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: possible move to Sacramento area

Thank you for the suggestions. Are the Rocklin and Roseville areas remarkably different than Davis? in terms of school district etc. Demographics, terrain? etc. I think it would be easier to transition to a smaller area. When I research schools, they all look really large! We have only about 120 kids in each graduating class here. I realize that is somewhat of an anomaly these days, but worry that if we move to an area that is huge, the kids will feel lost in the shuffle.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: possible move to Sacramento area

I would take into consideration where the job was. I'm guessing the job is in Davis. I would not want to make that commute from Roseville or Rocklin.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: possible move to Sacramento area

Based on what I have read in the OP, the "job" is in Sacramento, and the OP has already looked at Davis for a place to live and then commute to work.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: possible move to Sacramento area

iIgh schools in CA are pretty large unless you get into a Charter High School. Grammar schools are in the 500+ range k-5 and then Jr high which can be large.

Would you be looking at private school?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,801 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: possible move to Sacramento area

Where in Sacto will your job be? The commute from Davis can be pretty heavy (as is from Folsom or Roseville). In the Sacramento County I'd suggest looking into Carmichael or Fair Oaks, both in the San Juan school district (excellent). Davis has excellent schools, the real estate is more expensive.

Get answers to your questions about Sacramento