We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want a nice, clean place to stay near Stanford, post-op

san diego
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Topic
Want a nice, clean place to stay near Stanford, post-op

I am looking for a pretty nice and clean hotel to stay in for about 4 days after I have a surgery at Stanford hospital. I don't mind it being extremely close, as long as it's about 20 min away that will be fine. I am more concerned about it being in a decent neighborhood and a good hotel (I am coming from out of town obviously, and have no idea about the area). Can anyone suggest an area or even hotels that would be best to look at? I was considering Redwood City, and I think Palo Alto is close, but again I don't know where to start. My price range is $100-$130. Also, I'm curious, has anyone ever tried Pricline to get a nice 3-4 star hotel for about that price (just wondering if that would work)...

5 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Want a nice, clean place to stay near Stanford, post-op

I would check the Palo Alto forum and look at the reviews and prices there to determine where to stay. Not that Redwood City is that bad but it does have some sketchy areas and some of the budget motels along El Camino there have some riff raff hanging around. Hardly any Palo Alto hotels/motels along El Camino will have that problem and almost anywhere you stay will be reasonably close to walking distance of some restaurants (assuming you are able to walk post op).

Also, Palo Alto will be close to the hospital and will be far away enough though I'm not sure about the 20 min away criterion as it may be a little closer than that.

san diego
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Want a nice, clean place to stay near Stanford, post-op

Thanks for the quick reply. I will look on the Palo Alto forum. About the 20 min, I meant to say I would like to stay no further than 20 min away. Would Mountain View be worth looking into as well? Is it a nicer area too?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Want a nice, clean place to stay near Stanford, post-op

Mountain View would be fine as well though most of the hotels there are on the southern (east) end of El Camino area and may be too far from the hospital. BTW, Redwood City isn't THAT close to Stanford hospital though it's not THAT far either.

Menlo Park would also be a fine choice. Most of the hotels/motels will be outdoor accessible two story types. Your traditional motels if you will. But they are mostly cleaner than what you would find at others of their locations. If you need a room service type of place, your choices will be more limited and probably much more expensive than your thresshold though there may be exceptions.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,611 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want a nice, clean place to stay near Stanford, post-op

Good hospitals have listings of hotels and motels for patients and their families.

Before committing to a particular place, I think you should check the hospital's listing or contact them. If you're having major surgery, the hospital is better qualified than we are to suggest a place that meets your needs where you can recuperate comfortably.

stanfordhospital.org/forPatients/lodgingFood…

We wish you well on your operation and recovery.

san diego
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Want a nice, clean place to stay near Stanford, post-op

Thanks for your suggestions. I made my reservations at Stanford Terrace Inn, very close to the medical center and it looks like a very nice place, comfortable, clean, just what I was looking for. They also have a discount for Stanford patients, so I am very happy!

Reply to: Want a nice, clean place to stay near Stanford, post-op
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Redwood City