We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Pleasanton a good go between San Fran and Turlock?

AZ
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Is Pleasanton a good go between San Fran and Turlock?

I am attending a wedding in May 2018 at the Pageo Lavender farm in Turlock on a Sunday. I plan to spend Friday and Saturday in San Francisco and return to San Francisco on Monday to spend the rest of the day there before I fly out Monday night. Would it be wise to book a hotel in Pleasanton Sunday night since it is half way between the two cities and is on the BART line? What hotels would be recommended that are near the BART station and how long does it take to get to San Francisco from the Pleasanton BART station?

9 replies to this topic
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,962 posts
79 reviews
1. Re: Is Pleasanton a good go between San Fran and Turlock?

It's only 2 hours from Turlock to SF... just drive back Monday morning. You are driving, yes? If not, how will you get to Turlock and what would you do with your luggage while sightseeing SF?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,321 posts
6,456 reviews
2. Re: Is Pleasanton a good go between San Fran and Turlock?

If you are trying to avoid work traffic, Pleasanton works. There is more traffic going into San Francisco though than out of it so you could spend another night in San Francisco.

From Pleasanton by Bart check on the schedule what trains you are taking on Sunday.

https://www.bart.gov/

Its less than an hour, but weekend times can vary a bit.

Downtown Pleasanton is nice. What is your price range?

But in meantime look at Hotel Rose

How are you getting from Pleasanton to Turlock? That is the part I am confused about.

AZ
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Is Pleasanton a good go between San Fran and Turlock?

My plan would be to rent a car the Sunday of the wedding in Pleasanton and drive to Turlock for the wedding, then drive back to Pleasanton after the wedding is over, but trying to decide if I want to book my entire stay in San Francisco because it would be a longer drive back and forth to the wedding on that day.......

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
24,096 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: Is Pleasanton a good go between San Fran and Turlock?

It'll be difficult to find a car rental place in Pleasanton that's open on Sundays.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,962 posts
79 reviews
5. Re: Is Pleasanton a good go between San Fran and Turlock?

You'd take BART to Pleasanton on Sunday, then rent a car to drive to Turlock and back, overnight in Pleasanton, then BART from Pleasanton to SF on Monday for sightseeing before flying home?

If it were me, I'd rent the car from SF on Sunday morning, then spend Sunday night in Turlock (to continue the wedding festivities), or if that wasn't a factor, just return the car in SF on Sunday night.

Whether you stay in Turlock or Pleasanton, you'll still hit commute traffic on Monday morning. I don't see that you gain anything by staying in Pleasanton, and you lose the possibility of post-wedding congeniality.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: Is Pleasanton a good go between San Fran and Turlock?

Absolutely rent the car in SF Sunday morning. Stay in Turlock overnight and drive back to SF Monday after rush hour (depart Turlock at 9:00 or later). You could consider returning to SF Sunday night, but you would most likely have to pay for parking since many rental car companies will be closed by 6:00 on a Sunday. BART and Pleasanton don't make much sense.

AZ
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Is Pleasanton a good go between San Fran and Turlock?

What is traffic like in San Francisco on a Sunday?

Edited: 03 November 2017, 04:54
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,962 posts
79 reviews
8. Re: Is Pleasanton a good go between San Fran and Turlock?

>>you would most likely have to pay for parking since many rental car companies will be closed by 6:00 on a Sunday. <<

I think National/Enterprise offer after-hours drops at one of the Union Square hotels. It used to be the Parc55 but I believe that changed.

>>What is traffic like in San Francisco on a Sunday?<<

Traffic coming back into SF can be heavy on a Sunday afternoon/evening after ski season starts, as everyone returns from the weekend. If you come back late Sunday (leaving Turlock after 7 pm), I think you should be ok.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
225 posts
245 reviews
9. Re: Is Pleasanton a good go between San Fran and Turlock?

Pleasanton is right in between. But if you want to just stay near the wedding place - you could as well stay in Stockton or Livermore which will be closer to Turlock

Reply to: Is Pleasanton a good go between San Fran and Turlock?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted