We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Because of time constraints I have to choose...

Eastern Connecticut
Level Contributor
307 posts
62 reviews
Because of time constraints I have to choose...

Which hike would you choose on a weekday afternoon in mid Sept.?

Mori Point (which trail?) or Devil's Slide? Does one have better views than the other?

Wish I could visit both but flying into SFO around 2 pm and need to rent a car and drive to Santa Cruz along Route 1 before sunset. (around 7 pm) I figure it will be 3pm by the time we retrieve luggage and pick up the car.

11 replies to this topic
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,085 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Because of time constraints I have to choose...

Just did both the last few weeks. Both have pretty dramatic cliff drops. Mori Point is next to the beach so you can potentially start at the beach and hike up.

I think both are nice but Mori Point is slightly closer to the airport and has the beach next to it. Devils Slide has good history. Parking is easier at Devil's Slide by a slight margin.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,085 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Because of time constraints I have to choose...

At Mori Point, we parked by Bradford Way and walked on the flat trail to the beach and then up the hill and back. Will try to get the names.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,085 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Because of time constraints I have to choose...

parksconservancy.org/assets/visit-your-parks…

We did Old Mori Trail to the beach, up Bootleggers Steps and out the headlands spur, and down Bluff trail for a little before turning back. Then coastal trail back to parking lot. Very easy but good varied scenery of beach, bluff, and coastline with elevation change. Pretty easy too. We did it with our baby who I wore in a carrier.

Devils Slide is just all above the bluff. You will see the views before and after the tunnel.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
11,303 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Because of time constraints I have to choose...

Devil's Slide.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,085 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Because of time constraints I have to choose...

Simba - do you thinks the views are better at Devil's Slide? I have not been to Mori Point for a long time until recently and forgot how nice and varied the views are there.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
11,303 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Because of time constraints I have to choose...

The views are great from both Mori Point and Devil's Slide. I prefer Devil's Slide because Mori Point is too close to Highway 1, and the noise and cars rushing past kinda' ruin it for me.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,697 posts
52 reviews
7. Re: Because of time constraints I have to choose...

I like both, and both have beautiful ocean views. For someone with time constraints, I think Mori Point might work better because you have a slightly shorter distance to walk. It's a bit farther to walk on Devil's Slide Trail from the parking area south of Pacifica, and the scenery is just a little less diverse along the way. At Mori Point, you get dramatic ocean views sooner.

Also, to have the feeling of actually hiking, Mori Point is more of a trail while Devils Slide is an old highway that still has a lot of the paving on it.

For Mori Point, you can park at Bradford Way, or drive into the little residential area and see if there is space closer, or you can park at the Sharp Park Beach/Pacific Pier area and walk south along the seawall. The Sharp Park Golf Course will be to your left.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,085 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Because of time constraints I have to choose...

>>Also, to have the feeling of actually hiking, Mori Point is more of a trail while Devils Slide is an old highway that still has a lot of the paving on it.<<

I feel the same. Parking even on the weekend was fine on Bradford Way 2 weekends ago. But both will be fine. I like walking out by the old bunker when I go to Devils Slide as well. It is south of the southern parking lot.

Let us know how it goes.

Eastern Connecticut
Level Contributor
307 posts
62 reviews
9. Re: Because of time constraints I have to choose...

Thanks for all the input. It seems we can't go wrong with either as it sounds like both have great ocean views but I appreciate the comment about road noise at Mori Point. I didn't realize you would still hear the highway from the overlooks. I guess the tunnel at Devil's Slide negates noise on that trail. Thanks to all TA contributors for the interesting feedback!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
24,085 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Because of time constraints I have to choose...

I did not hear the freeway noise when I was at Mori Point 2 weeks ago.

Reply to: Because of time constraints I have to choose...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pacifica