We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oakland stay

Birmingham, United...
2 posts
Oakland stay

Hi, I fly into Oakland for one night before I carry on to Hawaii - I arrive at 16.30 and leave at 9.25 the following morning. Would be nice to explore a little if possible.

Should I stay near the airport and go out from there or is it easy enough to go further afield in that time frame?

Thanks in advance 😊

9 replies to this topic
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,998 posts
79 reviews
1. Re: Oakland stay

It would even be easy to stay in San Francisco... take BART to the Union Square area and stay there. Or take BART to Oakland's City Center station, where there's a Marriott, among other hotels. In both cases, ask at the hotel for the safest routes for strolling.

California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
84 reviews
2. Re: Oakland stay

I do not recommend staying near the Oakland Airport. There isn't anything to see or do around there, and it isn't an easy walk to anything at all.

I recommend staying at a downtown Oakland hotel. There is the Marriott, the Courtyard, etc. The Washington Inn might be the most affordable option around there.

An evening is enough time to stroll around Oakland, such as around Lake Merritt, and have dinner and drinks in the Uptown neighborhood. There are other neighborhoods of course. If you pick a particular place to stay, we can give you tips on whether there are any areas to avoid.

You could go to SF as well, but you'd have to get up pretty early in the morning to get back to OAK in time for your flight. Also, you'd have to rely on BART to/from your hotel, while the downtown Oakland area is close enough that you can catch an affordable, quick Uber or Lyft ride as well.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,347 posts
6,456 reviews
3. Re: Oakland stay

From the airport there is the BART extension to the BART station.

You can then take BART to downtown Oakland to the Marriott.

If you prefer to have a quiet night though closer to the airport, the places along the water are nice.

such as

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32…

They have a free airport shuttle. Since you really don't have a lot of time between flights.

If you do want to go out later, there is several good restaurants in the Lake Merritt area.

Its 7 miles or so from the BW and you can take UBER to get there.

https:/…restaurants-near-lake-merritt

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Oakland stay

As noted above, don’t stay anywhere near the Oakland airport. Not a good part of town and nothing to see. Downtown is great these days, and new restaurants going up all the time.

California
Level Contributor
4,403 posts
335 reviews
5. Re: Oakland stay

The Marriott is a good choice, and in addition to Lake Merritt there is Jack London Square and Chinatown for food, albeit someone going to Hawaii might not look for Chinese or Vietnamese food.

4 posts
6. Re: Oakland stay

Thank you ! Your review convinced me to stay at the Marriott City Center

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
50 reviews
7. Re: Oakland stay

Be sure to give yourself ample time on BART to reach OAK. It takes much longer than you might think.

FWIW - years ago, DH and I took BART from downtown Oakland to SFO mid-morning and it took almost 90 minutes and that's with no BART delays.

California
Level Contributor
4,403 posts
335 reviews
8. Re: Oakland stay

Globe2, the OP arrives and departs from OAK, so your horror experience of going to SFO does not apply.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
50 reviews
9. Re: Oakland stay

BART delays occur regularly regardless of the line or the destination, Liars. You may not be aware of this.

<snip> Be sure to give yourself ample time on BART to reach OAK. It takes much longer than you might think. <snip>

Reply to: Oakland stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted