We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How crazy to drive Oakland to Palo Alto on a Monday am?

Boston...
Level Contributor
109 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
How crazy to drive Oakland to Palo Alto on a Monday am?

We have to be at Stanford for a quick visit then thought we'd drive all the way to Big Basin for the rest of the day. Was assuming Monday would be better day to visit Big Basin (crowd-wise), but know the traffic from Oakland to Palo Alto will be nuts. If we wait out rush hour, would that make it less insane? Or should we try to make Big Basin on a summer Sunday work?

Thoughts welcome!

13 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,809 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How crazy to drive Oakland to Palo Alto on a Monday am?

I drive from SF to Stanford and also other places in that area a couple of days a week. Traffic really is a non-issue for me. Your issue is that you are starting in Oakland not SF so getting across the bridges traffic is really bad in the morning, once across you will be fine. If you can wait until probably after 930 it will be significantly better than leaving at 730am

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How crazy to drive Oakland to Palo Alto on a Monday am?

Visit Berkeley instead. It's a much better school as everyone knows!

If I HAD to go to Stanfurd I'd go down the east bay and cut across on the Dumbarton Bridge, but it won't be fun. There is a ton of commuter traffic going into the high tech companies.

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How crazy to drive Oakland to Palo Alto on a Monday am?

Visit Berkeley instead. It's a much better school as everyone knows!

If I HAD to go to Stanfurd I'd go down the east bay and cut across on the Dumbarton Bridge, but it won't be fun. There is a ton of commuter traffic going into the high tech companies.

California
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How crazy to drive Oakland to Palo Alto on a Monday am?

880 to the Dumbarton Bridge. Lots of trucks, lots of commuters to San Jose and lower Peninsula. Can be terribly congested. Going after 0900 helps only a little bit because HOV on 880 is open to all after 0900.

If can leave at 0600 and breakfast across the Bay, that would be better.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,809 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How crazy to drive Oakland to Palo Alto on a Monday am?

Double post

Edited: 05 August 2018, 19:21
Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How crazy to drive Oakland to Palo Alto on a Monday am?

My phone was designed by Stanfurd grads.....

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,921 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How crazy to drive Oakland to Palo Alto on a Monday am?

Big Basin is never that crowded even in the summer. I would just do it on Sunday.

Otherwise either before 7a or after 10a. We have family who work in Mountain View who moved from Oakland to Fremont due to the terrible 880 south commute in the morning.

Albany, California...
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How crazy to drive Oakland to Palo Alto on a Monday am?

You can take any of three bridges to get from Oakland to Palo Alto, but all of the routes are about equally bad. Check Google/Waymo and pick whichever one has the least traffic at the time you go, as there's no predicting in advance whether the Bay Bridge will be better or worse than 880 south.

If you can leave by 5a or after 10a, traffic won't be too horrible. Otherwise, switch to Sunday (it's been a while since I've been to Big Basin but I don't think it's generally too crowded), or just accept that horrible traffic is part of the deal and allow plenty of time.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 00:31
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,610 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How crazy to drive Oakland to Palo Alto on a Monday am?

I have a family member who lives in Berkeley but works for Apple. Yeah I don't complain about traffic. No you don't need to leave 6 am. If you start at 7 am you should be OK. Or leave after 9 am.

10. Re: How crazy to drive Oakland to Palo Alto on a Monday am?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2018, 21:10

Reply to: How crazy to drive Oakland to Palo Alto on a Monday am?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted