We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are some good restaurants in Newport Beach?

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,246 posts
432 reviews
Where are some good restaurants in Newport Beach?

Since Travel Articles can't be edited anymore, the only way to keep the topic current is to have it as a thread.

Newport Beach

In the Newport Coast Shopping Center is Zov's Bistro and Mustard's Cafe, Mustard's is great for breakfast and lunch, Zov’s is Middle East meets California cuisine. Great for carry out is Newport Coast Pizzeria and Pavilions Deli.

The Resort at Pelican Hill has several good restaurants including the casual Pelican Grill, Coliseum Pool & Grill and the very tony, Andrea, one of Orange County's top restaurants.

Crystal Cove Promenade features Mastro’s Ocean Club, Javier’s Cantina, Bluefin Sushi, Bear Flag Fish Co., Babette's Settebello Pizzeria Napoletana, Modo Mio Cucina Rustica and coming soon, the great Marche' Moderne from South Coast Plaza.

On Coast Highway in Corona del Mar is The Five Crowns and Side Door Gastropub, The Quiet Woman, a nice steak and seafood place, but very casual. Bandera, an upscale American bistro, another nice bistro is the Summer House Restaurant. For Italian you have Pirozzi Cucina. There is also a great Indian place, Mayur Cuisine of India and a couple of Asian restaurants, Thai del Mar and Vietnamese Bamboo Bistro.

Continuing up PCH is Avila's El Ranchito for Mexican food, Rothschild's for fine Italian and the Panini Kabob Grill for eclectic Med.

Fashion Island/Newport Center has a big mix of food from high end restaurants like Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse, R+D Kitchen, Roy’s, True Food Kitchen, FIG & Olive and Canaletto Ristorante Veneto, for more casual Gulfstream, Tommy Bahamas and Muldoon's.

On Balboa Island there is Royal Hen for upscale pub food on the main street of Balboa Island. There is also Wilma’s Patio, a very casual spot, Shanghai Pine Garden and Picante Martin's for Mexican. Just off Balboa Island is Sapori for very good Italian.

For intimate and romantic on Balboa Island, Basilic Restaurant, a Swiss French restaurant, is a great choice.

Mariner's Mile Newport Beach is a section of Coast Highway with a good number of restaurants, many of whom are on the waterfront. The Balboa Bay Club is famous for being an old hangout of John Wayne's and in fact the bar is named Duke's Place. Other places include Mario Batali's Pizzeria Mozza, popular Irish pub, Shamrock Bar & Grill, Billy's at the Beach, A Restaurant (formerly The Arches, just "the A" now) and Villa Nova.

West Newport has a good mix of family friendly restaurants including The Spaghetti Bender, Cuccina Alessa and Royal Thai Restaurant.

The Balboa & Newport Pier area have some hole in the wall type places. The Crab Cooker is famous for serving on paper plate; there is also Charlie's Chili; Il Farro Restaurant, not a hole in the wall, but fun for families, and the Old Spaghetti Factory, also great for families, all near the Newport Pier.

Fine dining at the Newport Pier area includes 21 Oceanfront, Sol Grill, Le Bistro Mediterranean Restaurant and The Dock.

At the Balboa Pier area there is Newport Landing for seafood with a view of the harbor; Harborside Restaurant in the historic Balboa Pavilion, for great views and casual seafood and chops; Cabo Cantina for fair Mexican food, but great margaritas in a great location. There is also BJ's Brewhouse for deep dish Pizza and Balboa Lily's for great breakfast and coffee drinks.

Also on the Balboa Peninsula closer to Lido are Bluewater Grill, Sabatino's, The Original Mama D's Italian Kitchen, Pescadou Bistro and Buddha's Favorite.

20 replies to this topic
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,730 posts
189 reviews
11. Re: Where are some good restaurants in Newport Beach?

I think Crab Cooker is pretty awful -- because it is way over-hyped. Quality is LOW. I do remember it being much better 30 years ago. But I wouldn't pay for anything there now.

12. Re: Where are some good restaurants in Newport Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 November 2017, 03:35

Coloma, California
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
62 reviews
13. Re: Where are some good restaurants in Newport Beach?

When I had a home on the peninsula in Newport we used to enjoy going to the Spaghetti Bender on W. Coast Highway.

It is a non tourist spot, possibly because it is West Newport and is a favorite of many locals. I always found it to be reasonable, informal, and great food. I usually ordered the God Father.

Of course the best and strictly local place was Sid's up on Superior. It had no address or signage and if you called up to inquire how to get there Sid hung up on you. Sadly it, and Sid, are no more.

Edited: 17 November 2017, 07:02
Coloma, California
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
62 reviews
14. Re: Where are some good restaurants in Newport Beach?

Correction, Sid's was on Old Newport Blvd., not Superior.

Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
15. Re: Where are some good restaurants in Newport Beach?

Excellent info!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
999 posts
29 reviews
16. Re: Where are some good restaurants in Newport Beach?

Fans of the Crab Cooker will want to eat there soon as its about to be demolished and rebuilt. Along similar lines the Stuft Surfer is gone and signs on the fenced slab says "Reopening Soon".

latimes.com/socal/…amp.html

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
27,045 posts
2,233 reviews
17. Re: Where are some good restaurants in Newport Beach?

I found the Crab Cooker excellent during last months visit.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
293 posts
18. Re: Where are some good restaurants in Newport Beach?

Thanks Scott for posting this, My family and I will be staying at the Marriott Newport Villas next week for mid-winter break. What are your thoughts on this deal for Pelican Grill (lunch) on travelzoo

https:/…

IWe plan on walking over from MNV, and reading your post about it being casual makes me feel a little better about it.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,246 posts
432 reviews
19. Re: Where are some good restaurants in Newport Beach?

The Pelican Grill is great and the deal looks very good.

Walking over won't be as easy as it appears.

Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
20. Re: Where are some good restaurants in Newport Beach?

Thank you so much for this list !!!!

Reply to: Where are some good restaurants in Newport Beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted