We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel in Newport Beach?

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel in Newport Beach?

Hi,

Going to Cali for a week for my 30th next May. We will do 3 nights in Newport beach. Want to have a pool or be close to the beach and be in walking distance to bars and restaurants. We have looked at the Fairmont, Balboa and Hyatt Regency but can't choose! Any suggestions welcome!!

19 replies to this topic
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
10,253 posts
2,999 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel in Newport Beach?

Take a look at Marriott Vacation Villas in Newport Beach.

We have holidayed here for years.

Easy drives to Huntington Beach and to Dana Point.

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel in Newport Beach?

Not the Balboa or Fairmont.

Look at the Marriott Newport Center.

You can't really walk anyplace from the Newport Coast Villas or Hyatt Regency.

M D
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel in Newport Beach?

Nearby Huntington and Laguna have much better options for you. Newport is a great city and beach, but just doesn't have hotels zoned in the right places.

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel in Newport Beach?

Really? I have seen this written often when people post about Newport! Why are Huntingdon and Laguna better? I'm a big real housewives fan which is why I wanted to do Newport and also I thought we could do a day in Disney whilst we were there.

Thank you for your help :)

M D
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel in Newport Beach?

I don't think the cities are inherently better, but they have hotels with pools near the beach and walkable to good nightlife. The good areas of Newport are almost all residential. It's absolutely worth a visit, and staying at the Marriott or the Island at the mall would actually be great as long as you're willing to drive/taxi to the beach. I always tell people who want to rent a house for a week to pick Newport. But the hotel you described just isn't in newport. Huntington and Laguna are full of them and only 10 minutes away.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel in Newport Beach?

First of all -- There is nothing "real" about what you see on RHOC, except that those people exist and are paid to cat-fight with one another. Few of the Orange County hotels featured on that show are in Newport Beach.

Newport Beach does not have beachfront hotels. The few little motels within walking distance of the beach are probably not what you are looking for. Laguna Beach and Huntington Beach have hotels that are on the beach or within walking distance of the beach, restaurants and shopping.

Please tell us your budget and more about your interests so we can better advise you.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel in Newport Beach?

Newport Beach is simply less walkable than downtown Huntington Beach or Laguna Beach. There are plenty of walkable parts of Newport Beach, just that's not where the hotels are located. Laguna Beach and Huntington Beach have hotels within easy walking distance of their main downtown areas and the beach.

The "Fairmont" is now the Duke Hotel and is absolutely nowhere near anything except John Wayne Airport. It is six miles by car from the beach.

The Balboa Bay Club is not walking distance from anything except Pizzeria Mozza and some fast food, and has a terrible little cove beach surrounded by a boat dock.

The Hyatt Regency Newport Beach is on the inland side of PCH off Jamboree and is walking distance to absolutely nothing at all, but it is a very short drive to Balboa Island.

By contrast, the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach has a bridge over PCH to get you to the sand in two minutes and is ten minutes' walk from Pacific City (and 15 minutes' walk from Downtown Huntington Beach and the pier), and nearly all of the upscale hotels in Laguna Beach are along PCH in the developed shopping area.

Oh, and the Real Housewives don't live in Newport Beach, they just go to Javier's to hang out. They live in Coto de Caza, which is a private gated community well inland, or if they're too poor for Coto they live in the "ghetto" of Ladera Ranch, where homes start at $700,000.

Edited: 20 July 2017, 00:36
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel in Newport Beach?

As long as you are not Elizabeth Phillips, there are several decent hotels. I've stayed in most of them because I'm homeless. (Thank you Irvine Company and ultimately, Donald Bren for illegally displacing me.) One of the best hotels is owned by the Irvine Co. and it sits on a bluff with breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean. Built on a grand scale, it is somewhat difficult to navigate and one is chauffeured from bungalow to property destination. I did have room service for several meals and the food was good- no, excellent. This property is the Pelican Resort. BTW, the Island truly is the Emperor's new clothes. LOL!

Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel in Newport Beach?

Just curious why not he Balboa? This was a hotel that I was looking at for my family. Thanks

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel in Newport Beach?

We are looking for somewhere that has a choice of restaurants and bars, doesn't have to be crazy nightlife just some good bars! I need to be able to do a day trip to Disney. In the day, I'm all about the beach, boat tours, wine tasting, shopping, walking, whatever tourist attractions are nearby, I like to think I'm pretty flexible!

Budget wise, not at the pelican resort level (sadly) but don't want a cheap motel (unless its fabulously located and well reviewed!)

Reply to: Which hotel in Newport Beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted