We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Question

jthomas2
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Question

First, just let me say that this will be my first trip to California and the NAPA valley. Flying into San Francisco late on a Friday night and plan to stay there and tour Alcatraz in the AM. Will then travel to Napa via the 101 to 37 to 121/12 (Thanks forrestvillian and Napa_Old_World_Inn for driving suggestions!). We will be staying in the town of NAPA.

I am currently trying to decide on the best way to spend the afternoon after driving into the valley. Would you recommend that we stop in Sonoma on our way into NAPA - see the town and a couple of wineries or should we try to get a late afternoon Del Dotto tour? Just of note, we will have two other days to tour vineyards in the NAPA valley (some on our list are Schramsberg, Sterling, Frog’s Leap and Frank Family).

No. California
Level Contributor
448 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Question

Sonoma and Napa are very close to each other. I suggest at least a few hours visiting Sonoma Valley and the charming town square of Somona.

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Question

jthomas2-

Touring Sonoma wine country on your way to Napa is a great idea-- it's efficient, and the drive is wonderful! The town of Sonoma is a great stop as well (and it's on the way). You could have lunch here, on the square, go cheese tasting at the Sonoma Cheese Factory, and walk the grounds.

mini (a regular on these forums, and a TA local expert) has a great review about the square here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g33107-d1568…

r5892878-Sonoma_Plaza-Sonoma_California.html

After that, you could stop at Domaine Carneros, or Artesa, or any one of a number of fantastic Carneros wineries.

We'd usually suggest the Del Dotto tour as the last thing you do in the day (as you won't be in any conditiion to do anything else!). We often schedule this as the very last tour on a visit to Napa-- as it's a perfect way to end your trip to the wine country.

We hope you have a wonderful time! :)

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

3. Re: Itinerary Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 20:47