We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free tastings in napa/sonoma

colorado
4 posts
Free tastings in napa/sonoma

My wife and I are taking a trip to napa and sonoma for a romantic anniversary trip which will include a couple days of wine tasting. Beyond looking at every wineries website or calling them, is there any place to see who still offers free tastings or how much $ each winery charges. I understand that may wineries charge for tastings but will refund or apply fee to purchases. Would just like a list so I can make up a rough itenerary. Thank you

No. California
Level Contributor
448 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Free tastings in napa/sonoma

I don't know of any wineries offering free tastings. How much each winery charges ranges from $5-10/person. It depends on the winery as well as the wines you are interested in tasting. Reserve wines usually cost more to taste. You are not charged for each individual tasting. But for tasting a series of wines.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Free tastings in napa/sonoma

I like this site for Napa Valley:

www.napavintners.com/wineries/index.asp

There is a great map and a list of wineries and whether they have public tastings and web addresses.

Here's a good one for Sonoma Valley:

http://www.sonoma.com/wineries/

Since it's so large you have to click on an area from the grouping on the left side and then you'll get a list which does sometimes include whether there is a tasting fee.

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Free tastings in napa/sonoma

Scotoni-

We're not sure if you saw this thread on the Napa Valley TA forums. It talks about how to get complimentary tastings (and why so many wineries now charge):

tripadvisor.com/…5484160

The best place to get comp'd tastings are still the local Inns and B&Bs, for the reasons outlined in the thread above.

If you've already found a place to stay, why not give your innkeepers a call and ask about this? They'll be happy to help you plan your trip! :)

If you are not staying in Napa, there is a large, tabloid-sized newsprint publication with the words "Napa Valley" printed on the cover-- inside is a great winery map and a very complete grid of wineries, listing hours of operation, if they give tours and/or tastings, and if there are charges for either. It's a great resource for wine tasting-- you will find it at any of the Visitor's Centers in Napa.

We hope this helps-- please do consider calling where you are staying, as Napa innkeepers are world famous for their friendliness and expertise. And these services are included in the price of your stay, so why not take advantage of them! :)

Enjoy your stay in Napa. It's a magical place.

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Level Contributor
39,309 posts
1,019 reviews
4. Re: Free tastings in napa/sonoma

Where are you staying? The concierge at the Sonoma Mission Inn was great about giving us several complimentary tasting passes to places in this area.

The Yountville Inn was also very helpful with complimentary passes to places in Napa Valley. Utilize your concierge wheverever you end of staying, they are a valuable resource. Happy wine tasting! :)

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
301 reviews
5. Re: Free tastings in napa/sonoma

Rosenblum is Healdsburg square has free tastings and has some of the best reds around. There are many small wineries in Sonoma that still have free tastings, but the trend is going to the $5 tastes, often deducted when you make a purchase. check out winecountrytoday.com and sfgate.com for good info.

Gordonsbay, South...
Level Contributor
161 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Free tastings in napa/sonoma

Hi Scotoni

When we went to Napa last year in April (SIGH SIGH) I found this link very useful:

http://www.sfgate.com/wine

Under the wine country guide, select your location and under special features 'Complimentary tastings'. It generates a nice list to work from.

Hope it helps!

Pittsburgh
4 posts
7. Re: Free tastings in napa/sonoma

Pick up some of those cooky coupon books at the airport and the visitors center. There are a lot of free tasing and buy one get one coupons in those books.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
5,999 posts
143 reviews
8. Re: Free tastings in napa/sonoma

Yes. The visitor centers, especially in the town squares like Sonoma usually have assortments of coupons for free wine-tasting at places that usually charge.

colorado
4 posts
9. Re: Free tastings in napa/sonoma

We checked with our hotel, and they said they only have coupons/savings for restaurants. I will definitley check out the visitors centers for wine tasting coupons. I think our hotel in calistoga is only a few blocks from chamber of commerce, so we might try there as well. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Free tastings in napa/sonoma

scotoni-

Wow- that's a shock. Every Inn or B&B in Napa we know of has tasting passes-- where are you staying?

AliceWonder's site recommendation is a good one-- but you'll want to call the wineries ahead of time to see if they still offer this (some do not).

Visitor's Centers will always have the most recent tasting passes-- but we find that they typically have about 10% of what's available (as far as total number of different wineries). So it will be worth your while to check out a few other sources before you go.

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn