We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Napa in November - Are Fires an Issue?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
271 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Napa in November - Are Fires an Issue?

Hello, we're considering going to Napa the first week of November. Will the fires in the area right now affect the vineyards? Is it a bad time to go due to fire season? Thank you very much, hoping for some rain for everyone there.

6 replies to this topic
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,385 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Napa in November - Are Fires an Issue?

There have been no fires in the Napa Valley so far this year. There is some smoke from fires to the north but air quality has not been that bad and should not affect the grapes.

Fires can still happen as late as November (which is normally the start of our rainy season) if it remains dry but they would be unlikely.

Level Contributor
1,366 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Napa in November - Are Fires an Issue?

You never know, usually fire season will be over. But due to the terrible drought and record heat and tens of millions of dead trees, California as a whole is just a tinderbox waiting to explode. Extreme Forrest fires like we have seen the last few years will be the new norm for a while until all the excess fuel is burned off, then the beautiful mountains of California will look like a wasteland. Better to come out now while the scenery is still somewhat good, the Eastern hills of Napa were destroyed by last year's fires, and some of the Western hills were, but it's only a matter of time before more fire consumes Napa.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38,880 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Napa in November - Are Fires an Issue?

Last year I believe there were. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_2017_N…

Napa, California
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Napa in November - Are Fires an Issue?

You've got to commend jnapawineguy for selling Napa!

Level Contributor
1,366 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Napa in November - Are Fires an Issue?

To savor, I know it comes off as a morbid sell, but still a sell, come see Napa Valley now, because due to climate change it will be a drastically different valley in the decades to come. I think Napa is at its peak right now, if not starting the downslope of its peak. Unchecked growth coupled with infrastructure not keeping up with the growth is creating an environment that is no longer the "relaxing" environment many look for when going on vacation. Then you throw in the cost of living driving out the workforce you rely on to sustain the valley, it's pretty eye opening when Michelin Star rated restaurants close and they site the lack of being able to find employees the reason. I was recently at the Sky and Vine on top of the Archer and the level of just poor situational awareness from employees was astounding. On one hand it's good to see people working, but then I noticed there was no care or passion for what they were doing, maybe automation will be a good thing in the future because all though there won't be any emotion with automation, at least the robots will do the job that's is commanded of them, instead of basically looking like they hate their job and doing the bare minimum to not be fired. I know what I saw is the exception and not the rule, but all it takes is some exceptions here and there for people to decide to vacation and spend their money elsewhere. I think the "world class" destination that Napa sells will be limited to the ultra wealthy you can stay at Auberge or Meadowood. Then you throw in the planets rising temperature and the effect this will have on premium grapes, well it's going to take a lot of marketing to try to sell someone that these wines are worth the premium cost. Again, these are my beliefs, and I see a slow decline, but unless things change this seems to be the way we are headed here. So again, come now while things are still tolerable

Napa, California
Level Contributor
511 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Napa in November - Are Fires an Issue?

If you come to the Napa Valley and travel up and down highway 29 and Silverado Trail - you will be hard pressed to see evidence of fire damage. It's beautiful! My heart goes out to the neighborhoods in Santa Rosa that lost so much. We were not hit nearly as hard, and our fire damage is mostly hidden, as the vineyards and roads served as fire breaks for the most part. Of course the media wanted to get clicks and viewers, so they were all about "Napa Valley" being on fire.

No one can predict the future - so we cannot say that there will or will not be fires in November. But I would not say that there is any concern in planning a trip here today or in the future.

Reply to: Napa in November - Are Fires an Issue?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted