We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from LA to SF next April

Ireland
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from LA to SF next April

Hi,

My wife and I will drive PCH1 from LA to SF next April. Day 1 LA to Morro Bay. Day 2 Morro Bay to Santa Cruz. Day 3 Santa Cruz to SF. Is this a reasonable itinerary and are Morro Bay and Santa Cruz good destinations at the end of each day? Any advice much appreciated!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,146 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from LA to SF next April

Hello Corkboy,

Since you seem to have done a few posts before, I presume you can do a bit of a search on the CA forums to see what other travelers have done. here is are two posts that may help you

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28926-i29-k480800…

tripadvisor.com/…35860506

If you have 3 days up the coast then Santa Barbara, a spot near Heart Castle and Monterey/ Carmel would be better places to stay. But perhaps you have specific reasons to stay in Morro Bay and Santa cruz. Both are nice spots

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,435 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from LA to SF next April

Morro Bay is okay, but Cambria is nicer and only 15 minutes up the road from Morro Bay.

www.cambriachamber.org/

Monterey/Carmel is generally the recommended second night stop, as the area is filled with stunning scenery and the drive up through Big Sur can take up a full day, especially if you include a tour of Hearst Castle.

Santa Cruz can be visited on the way up to SF, as Monterey to SF is only a 3 hour drive via Highway 1.

Ireland
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from LA to SF next April

Thanks to both of you for your replies. We did this trip in reverse nearly 30 years ago over 3 days and we camped in State Parks at that time - I can't remember which ones. We might just consider making no advance bookings and looking for a motel wherever we happen to end up each of the two evenings. Thanks!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,435 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from LA to SF next April

Please keep in mind that Spring Break will be going on in April and every town along the coast will be packed with visitors. I STRONGLY recommend you pre-book your hotels or run the risk of ending up in a less than desirable hotel or town. There are few times of the year where "playing it by ear" works here. Spring Break isn't one of them.

Ireland
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from LA to SF next April

Thanks Kibblesmom! We had forgotten about Spring break! We'll decide on a destination each night and book accommodation accordingly.

6. Re: Driving from LA to SF next April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 13:47
Get answers to your questions about Morro Bay