We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week vacation rental-Monteray, Carmel or Pacific Grove?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
One week vacation rental-Monteray, Carmel or Pacific Grove?

We are planning a driving holiday in July down the California coast and thought we would spend a week in the Monteray area. I have been looking at rentals on VRBO and it is all very confusing. We would like to be within walking distance of the town, with quick access to shops and restaurants, and being near to the beach would be a plus. We prefer bright and modern (or updated) to old and rustic. Any suggestions for which area would best suit our needs?

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One week vacation rental-Monteray, Carmel or Pacific Grove?

I think that Pacific Grove meets your needs. Here is one example from vrbo: http://www.vrbo.com/172732 It's an historic cottage, but it's been updated inside. It is close to shops, restaurants and the beach. Take a look at the other listings for PG. It's not as developed as Carmel in terms of shops, but it's a great little town that is not overrun by tourists in the summer, so it's peaceful and yet close to everything. PG also has some excellent restaurants that you can walk to. It's about a 20-minute walk to Cannery Row and the aquarium.

Edited: 03 May 2010, 05:42
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,708 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One week vacation rental-Monteray, Carmel or Pacific Grove?

Listen to PG and you will have a great trip. Pacific Grove is a wonderful choice for all of the reasons you stated in your choice of location and lodging.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One week vacation rental-Monteray, Carmel or Pacific Grove?

Be advised that house rentals of less than 30 days are illegal within the city limits of Carmel. I have seen homes listed on VRBO that appear to violate the city ordinance, so be cautious.

…carmel.ca.us/carmel/…

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
790 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One week vacation rental-Monteray, Carmel or Pacific Grove?

Another votr for PGdenizens suggestion. I absolutely LOVE Pacific Grove! While Carmel is a really cool town, I don't think I'd want to stay there. PG is much more quaint and personal, and an even bigger plus is that it isn't as expensive as Carmel. The beach ( Lover's Point ) is great for watching volleyball or laying out in the sun.

5. Re: One week vacation rental-Monteray, Carmel or Pacific Grove?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2010, 10:46