We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All in one day - by bus. Possible?

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
All in one day - by bus. Possible?

Hi guys,

I'll be leaving Santa Monica (pier as a reference), around 9am and take a walk to Venice. Have some coffee and something, visiting the pier, spending about 2hrs there, and take another walk to Marina Del Rey (is it worth the visit?).

From there, take a bus (R3) to LAX, and then, the Commuter Express 438 till Redondo Beach.

I wanna see the pier and the beach, of course, and start heading to Hermosa Beach. Same there, and maybe grabbing something to eat, take some pictures...

Finally, another walk to Manhattan Beach, which is where I wanna watch the sunset.

It should be around 8:15pm (this will be june 24th), and I'll leave, back to Santa Monica. Line 232 (it's a bus, I guess, not sure) till LAX, and the R3 back home.

What do you guys think? Is it possible to enjoy a lil of those beaches? All I'll have is this one day. Is there an easier way getting there/heading back? I'm not taking cabs or renting cars, btw.

Really appreciate!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica Pier
Santa Monica Pier
14,991 Reviews
Santa Monica, CA
Venice Beach
Venice Beach
9,058 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Redondo Beach
Redondo Beach
California
Hermosa Beach
Hermosa Beach
California
Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach
1,241 Reviews
Manhattan Beach, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: All in one day - by bus. Possible?

chinita415 very clarifying map, good to know about this bike path.

CAnative thanks dude; it's a nice picture btw! Cabs are 'kinda' out of the question. I did the simulator and it'll be over $60, so...

Well, it's great to know about this forum on TripAdvisor, thanks to everyone for the help! I'm much better determined now. And sorry for the bad english.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,434 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: All in one day - by bus. Possible?

I'm a Dudette! LOL. The fare to LAX area from MB is about $20. Or you could take the Metro toward LA. You haven't mentioned your home base yet, but do you need to get back to SM to begin your journey back to your base? Seems like the bus station at the airport could take you somewhere easier.

Your English is fine. Everyone here wants to help you have a wonderful day at the beach!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,090 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: All in one day - by bus. Possible?

You should get a lock with the bike rental, be sure to ask. Buses have bike racks on the front of them, so you can actually combine the bike with buses, it's a good commuter strategy.

I agree with the estimable Dudette, have a nice stroll from Santa Monica to Venice, either along the water or along the concrete walking path (which needs to be distinguished from the concrete bike path, which pedestrians should NEVER use as a sidewalk (but they do......). There are signs!

I know the Santa Monica Big Blue Bus runs along Lincoln Blvd., but the terminus, I believe, is Lot C at LAX, it doesn't go as far as Manhattan Beach. It might be a good idea to check bus service from Manhattan Beach to Lot C at LAX and transfer to the Big Blue Bus into Santa Monica.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Venice Beach
Venice Beach
9,058 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach
1,241 Reviews
Manhattan Beach, CA
Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: All in one day - by bus. Possible?

Lol, sorry about that! haha

I'm staying at the HI Santa Monica (Hostel). The day before I'll rent a car and go to Malibu, Santa Barbara;

This day I'll drop the car at Avis in the morning, and visit the southern beaches afterwards.

Considering what HopSkipJump came up with, it seemed a good way for me getting back to the hostel, also because of the late schedules.

Bus 109 in MB to LAX

Bus 3 to Santa Monica (really close to the hostel)

Since we're already here, just to make sure:

The next day I'll go to Vegas with Megabus (Union Station's - Patsaouras Transit Plaza Bay 8). The best way from the hostel would be the Rapid 10, yes?

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Malibu
Malibu
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,090 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: All in one day - by bus. Possible?

Yes, take Big Blue Bus Rapid 10 to downtown LA. You know, that hostel does excursions, too, perhaps you can find out what their schedule is and join them in an LA tour. Have a good trip.

16. Re: All in one day - by bus. Possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2016, 09:48
Get answers to your questions about Manhattan Beach
;