We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough time for a layover excursion?

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Enough time for a layover excursion?

Hey all,

Wanted to get some help in either encouraging or curbing my desire to head to Manhattan Beach during a layover. I have a 5 hour layover (domestic flights only) from 1-5pm. Don't want to miss the flight or push the limit too much but that seems like an awful long time in an airport. Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,976 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Enough time for a layover excursion?

If you have 4-5 hours and $50 dollars to spare, you certainly could take a taxi to Manhattan Beach during your layover.

The most asked question is do you really have 5 hours between flights? Is that touch down time and you take off again five hours later, or is that time when you have to be back at the airport to check in security?

The cab ride costs us about $20 + tip. Depends on traffic, but should be ok between the hours of 1-5. I'd have the cab let you off at The Shade Hotel near the corner of MB Blvd. and Valley Dr. There it is a easy few block walk down to the MB Pier. You'll walk by all the shops and restaurants on the way. The Kettle Restaurant is open 24/7 and serves B, L & D all day.

If you have the address of Shade Hotel on 1221 N Valley Dr. when you travel, be sure to tell the cab driver turn a quick right, one block after Rosecrans Ave. Note: the extreme right lane heading up to Rosecrans is right turn only. They will ticket for going straight and not turning. Be in the next lane, so just after you cross Rosecrans is a gas station and the Belamar hotel. That is Valley Dr, a time saver, to avoid lunch traffic around the MB Mall to take you directly to downtown MB.

When you want to get back to LAX there is a Taxi Stand around the base of the pier near to Shellback Tavern. Or if you use Uber that is a good location to be picked up, or in front of a restaurant.

Have fun!

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Enough time for a layover excursion?

Thanks so much for your reply. To answer the big question I land at 1 and take off again at 5:50. So I really have 3 hours in the end, I suppose?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,976 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Enough time for a layover excursion?

Oh, if that's wheels down, it could take you 20-30 minutes to walk off the plane, and to the curb in front of baggage claim where you catch a taxi. That's cutting it pretty short.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Enough time for a layover excursion?

Good news,

Flight out is delayed til 7:30. I'm taking it as a sign. Thanks for all your help. Will let you know how it goes!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,976 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Enough time for a layover excursion?

That is a good sign!

Our friends live in Rocky Hill, CT and several times they have connected through LA heading home from somewhere, and had a layover from a few hours to much longer. We've scooped them up each time and they love coming to MB and walking around town, out on the pier to watch the surfers or to have a meal.

Do let me know if it works out. Always nice to know if plans come together. Check out the directions I gave you on line, so it makes sense to you as the cab heads south on Sepulveda Blvd. from LAX.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Enough time for a layover excursion?

Sorry for the delay in update. Spent too much time in Hawaii and its ruined me for this blizzard ridden world of the Northeast. Cutting to the chase, it worked perfectly. Spent 4 hours on the beach instead of in an airport. Getting a cab was a breeze and 15 minutes later we were at the Shade Hotel. Manhattan Beach is all its cracked up to be. I spent the first hour gawking at the homes of varying architectural style. Even visited the aquarium on the pier. Got a bite and drink at Shellbeck Tavern before grabbing a cab back (thank you for the tip). It did the trick nicely. Can't thank you enough for all your help. Made the trip so much easier, felt rejuvinated coming back for the final flight (which is nice when you have a 24 hour travel day.)

7. Re: Enough time for a layover excursion?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2016, 10:45
Get answers to your questions about Manhattan Beach